Water Quality Captiva -Lake Okeechobee release

I'm heading down to Captiva on June 15th for a week and I just read that water is being released from Lake Okeechobee and from the photo I saw it looks like the water has already invaded the Sanibel area. Really interested in the effects for the gulf side of Captiva and Red Fish Pass.

Here is a link to the article 
http://santivachronicle.com/Content/Latest-News-/Latest-News/Article/City-Calls-For-Lake-O-Releases-To-Stop-Now/19/18/8136

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 491 Deckhand
    The Redfish pass area typically will stay clean, especially on the gulf side, any further south and you'll start seeing the brown water.
  • Salt LifeSalt Life Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I'm kind of surprised this hasn't had any more hits than 1. This has to be affecting the fishing in and around the Sanibel area with how low the salinity levels get. I know if I lived there I would be up in arms if this kept happening. Is there a separate thread to follow that details the affects of this dumping? 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Most of us that live down here are getting beat to death with this story by the local news. Bottom line is its summer time and it rains alot. Also Boss sugar isn't interested in the tourists at thr beach
  • moses0moses0 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    i am headed there on the 16th any water condition and rising report  would be most welcome
    should read fishing report
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 491 Deckhand
    I ran up north to Boca grande from FMB today. From FMB to the tip of Sanibel, it's brown. From the tip of Sanibel to Knapp's point, it's dark green, anything north of Blind Pass was nice and clean. Nasty color change right around the lighthouse too.
    Thanks for the report.
    It is not too encouraging I usually drift the pass by the light house for Tarpon. Had some really good years in the past. Not for the last 3 years though because of this water run off. We stay in a condo right there by the lighthouse. 
    Not sure where to fish now.
  • winterbeater89winterbeater89 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Ran offshore to Edison reef - was still brown.  55+ feet water looked nice
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    I was out on Saturday . launched out of pineland marina.   I  heard there was red tide up in boca grande pass so I headed towards the south side of cayo costa.  in Pine island sound there was floating dead fish about every 100 yards.  they were mostly small, puffer fish, mangrove snapper, grunts in floating seagrass mixed with some type of algae clumps that looked like poop.   on the gulf side of cayo costa there were some dead fish on shore but not floating in the water.  Water gulf side was clear and nice.  I was in Pine island sound a month ago and it was the clearest I've ever seen so different in just a short period of time.
    i guess I will being running offshore
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,712 Captain
    Brown water from Lake O has nothing to do with Red Tide.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    In The Waterline magazine this week there was an aerial photo of brown water coming out of the Venice breakwater. That is way away from the Caloosahatchee and Lake O water. As I said earlier in this thread it rains alot this time of year.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 475 Deckhand
    Yes, run off during rainy season plays a major role in this issue also, always has.

• SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 128 Deckhand
    I dont think pineland is affected by lake o. Thats just normal tanin stained freshwater.  On a strong incoming ussepa has nice clear water and on an outgoing its dark and stained. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file