What’s your favorite color TW walk the dog type bait!

greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 407 Deckhand
If you guys have Go-to colors you mainly stick with, or if you have favorite colors for different areas? All answers are welcome.

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,016 Captain
    Light colors in clear water. The darker the water, the darker the plug. I’ve killed it with a black skitter walk ( chartreuse head) fishing black coffee water. I like the redfish pattern in slightly tannic water. With that said, it seems to me, that color is probably less important with a Tw plug than anything else. They only see the bottom and it’s probably more of a reaction strike than anything 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 407 Deckhand
    edited May 15 #3
    Well said on them really only being able to see the bottom, and it being more of a reactionary strike man. I know I have some that maybe I like the colors more than the fish really care for. 😁
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,125 Moderator
    Bone or bone/silver Spook Jr

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,350 Officer
    I have played with colors quite a bit and I can't say I have ever noticed a major difference.  My comment isn't topwalker specific, but a general observation.  
    Well said on them really only being able to see the bottom, and it being more of a reactionary strike man. I know I have some that maybe I like the colors more than the fish really care for. 😁
    Lures are designed to catch fishermen 
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,772 Captain
    skitterwalk.  I like chrome belly, black back.  Like others mentioned I doubt the color matters, but it looks like a mullet to me..
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,612 Admiral
    If you look at almost all fish they have white bellies. So when an ambush predator comes up from underneath he sees white. So anything with white belly that causes a lot of ruckus is going to work.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• FishWithChrisFishWithChris TallahasseePosts: 137 Deckhand
    I think profile and sounds is more important than colour.  Though, Bone is probably most diverse.

There are days that the skitterwalk is the outperformer and others where the spook/spook jr will be?   Or maybe it could be the Top Dog Jr that blasts them?   
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark
    Thanks a ton guys! 😊👍
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Bone or something resembling a baby trout
  • Slb9981Slb9981 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Chartreuse seems to be my how to color.  
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,732 Captain
    More than color its how ya work it.
    That said I use Bone or Red andWhite
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,856 Admiral
    Color doesn't seem to mean much -- I think the fish are attracted to the silhouette.  I tend to use white or light colors.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,817 Captain
    Red and white since the early seventies.... for every topwater I've ever used... Don't know if it's that effective - but it is what they'll be looking at if I'm working it (and it's what I hand my anglers as well).

The only exception are with small mirrolures (#5, #21, and #17) where I will use a variety of colors (green/ silver, blue/silver, fl. chartreuse/silver...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 749 Officer
    Lures are designed to catch fishermen 
    so true...all bottoms are light......plenty colors and patterns to catch the fisherman while the plain old stupid red and white is used the most..
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 917 Officer
    Thankfully we all don't have to agree.

I can't agree that a fish is only going to see the "bottom" of a topwater lure - they come at it from the sides and from behind often enough - most of the fish I get are following the dang thing, too shallow to come up from underneath.  Fun watching a red stick his nose out of the water to eat it after waking/bulging behind it for 15 or 20 feet.

I highly disagree that fish hit a topwater lure as a reflex.  They usually follow the lure or come in from the side as opposed to just slashing at it the second they see it.

The fish like green where I fish.  Anything with green will outproduce other colors - jerk & swim baits, and topwater.
    Rich, which types of areas do you fish using the green?

edited May 20 #19
    That’s pretty funny, the only color tw plug I don’t have or use is green. Again not saying icolor doesn’t matter, but I think it’s probably less important than the action and the sound of the clacker. Sometimes they want hi pitch, sometimes low, sometimes none. But I think it’s pretty safe to say, they can’t see what color the top of the lure is. Bottom yes, sides maybe, too not so much. 
  • captbbcaptbb Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Bone, is the only color you need 
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,203 Admiral
    Red and white early morning. Chartreuse and silver/white bright sun. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • BTVengeanceBTVengeance SCPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    I like to use colors that look like baitfish but as to the fish I don’t much think they really give a **** beyond the preferred light or dark shades based on light and water conditions.  Overall if I could only have one topwater I think silver is probably the best producer for both salt and fresh water.

Spook Jr. Is  my favorite saltwater plug and the old faithful Tiny Torpedo was always my favorite freshwater plug.  They don’t make them anymore but the Silver Smithwick Toothpick was the best school bass topwater lure I have ever used when the water was calm.

Biggest bass I ever caught on topwater was on a yellow and white Jitterbug about 50 years ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file