what age is to young

IS IT SLOTIS IT SLOT Posts: 204 Deckhand
i used to piggy back with a weight belt when i was really young . . .

wife is freaking out about kids doing same. Is there an age limit to take diving class.
i see the need for schooling around driving age.

but until then shallow and piggy back. . .. 

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 992 Officer
    Here's what PADI says: https://www.padi.com/help/scuba-certification-faq

What are the requirements for learning to scuba dive?

If you have a passion for excitement and adventure, chances are you can become an avid PADI scuba diver. You'll also want to keep in mind these requirements:

The minimum age is 10 years old (in most areas). Student divers who are younger than 15 earn the PADI Junior Open Water Diver certification, which they may upgrade to PADI Open Water Diver certification upon reaching 15. Children under the age of 13 require parent or guardian permission to register for PADI eLearning, or to use PADI Open Water Diver Touch™.

• IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 287 Deckhand
    There's no legal requirement for certification. The dive industry is self regulated and the certification used as a requirement to purchase fills and charters.

I trained my youngster at age 10 in the pool, then shore dives, then shallow Keys stuff in the 30-40' range but I have my own boat.

I'll get him certified and Nitrox before taking him deep or let him go without me around.

But for the shallow stuff, he actually prefers my snuba rig. It's great for amateurs.
  • Salty4LifeSalty4Life Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I started at 6 but wasn’t allowed to go more than 40 feet. At 8 I was allowed to go 90 feet. My mom and dad owner adventure scuba in Jupiter so I did have some advantages there, but I think it’s you kid, you make the call.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file