Daytime Bears

Sister down in St. Teresa and looked over her shoulder to see this...haven't seen them during the day.

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,220 Captain
    Cool, have seen other daylight pictures of them. I have personally seen them moving along Hwy 67 and Lake Mortality Rd during the day. Saw 1 cross 98 just south of the Lanark store 1 day. Came out of a yard along the coast and jumped the ditch right below The Pearl.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 580 Officer
    cool to see them but a little spooky too. Not my favorite wildlife except from a far distance.
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,036 Moderator
    There is one running around College Park alongside the Atlanta Airport.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • cc13cc13 Posts: 484 Deckhand
    We saw two different bears, both in the 150-200lb range, within the last 72 hours, just down the road from you.  Both in daylight.  From the picture, the one your sister photo'd seems to me it could be larger. 
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,785 Captain
    Black Bears out and around people during the day is wrong.

Lack of forage is one thing, but lack of fear is a bigger issue.

Has the state scheduled another Bear hunt? Why the heck not?

Are they still trapping and releasing them into the Panhandle?
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 682 Officer
    FWC trapped one last week that was terrorizing some friends house during the day when they were there, on the east end of St. Teresa near Bay North. Because of the bears behavior they had to put it down. FWC said its scat was full of bird seed and hoped no one was feeding it.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,785 Captain
    The buggers are omnivores ... they'll eat anything.

Once they start eating easy, they'll keep coming back.

Somewhere out West, they just legalized baiting them with donuts.
    The bear hunt does not affect these bears. These are along the coast, far from the areas opened to hunting. The st Joe, now Mormon, property is many thousands of acres.  From bay north to summer camp, there are numerous bears.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,219 Captain
    Ga dnr captured the bear hanging around the Marta station yesterday and took it way up north. 
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,845 Captain
    Moving bears from the point of capture to a distant location thinking the bear will stay in the released area is a total waste of time and efforts. Too many cases on record proves this.
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 771 Officer
    Looks to be made out of plywood......
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    amada8 said:
    That's what I thought.  It looks like one of them cutouts they lean on trees.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,941 Captain
    Bears?? In Florida??   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 771 Officer
    stc1993 said:
    amada8 said:
    That's what I thought.  It looks like one of them cutouts they lean on trees.
    Plus, I like the mountains in the background.....at St. Teresa
  • seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,002 Officer
    edited June 6 #17
    Here is video of it:

http://youtu.be/78Qjrb86bgs
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,877 Captain
    😳
    God, save the South!
    The photo---the mountains---a plywood bear??? Maybe I didn't get the original photo posted with the first Post by seabiscut. What I see is a photo of a house with a fencepost, a funny something-or-other hanging from a tree with a twisted small diameter line securing it. Is this the only photo? What am I missing? 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,016 Captain
    The photo---the mountains---a plywood bear??? Maybe I didn't get the original photo posted with the first Post by seabiscut. What I see is a photo of a house with a fencepost, a funny something-or-other hanging from a tree with a twisted small diameter line securing it. Is this the only photo? What am I missing? 
    Was thinking the same thing 
    You should have been here yesterday
    After it was mentioned, I looked at the background, at a quick glance, the bay does kinda look like mountains. But I see a bear standing next to an oak on the other side of a chain link fence. The oak has a bird feeder/lantern hanging behind the bear and it's limbs appear to be wrapped with led rope lighting.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,610 Captain
    amada8 said:
    That's some fuzzy a$$ plywood!  LOL
    Proverbs 13:3
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,219 Captain
    When you look at it on a desktop or laptop ( windows) you can barely see a part of bear. On a iPhone see the whole bear. And yes, until you expand pic to see fur it does look like a cut out. 
  • MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 928 Officer

I have had to run a few off that were close to the bees.  Seen a few in the river swamps with more than one ear tag.  The only problems that we've seen is when trash, corn, bees, etc attracts them.  Here's a mom and cub behind the house where I had some corn out for deer.  I quite putting corn out for this reason. 

• seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,002 Officer
    Wish I had time to make a fake bear out of plywood and prank everyone.  LOL.

A mom with cubs seems like a pretty dangerous situation for someone to stumble upon.  Cool pic though.   
    I see the gulf. I see Hannon's dock. I see a real life quite large fuzzy black bear. I see no mountains.  I see no plywood cutout.  And I see SeaBisquit's name on the post.  The provenance of that photo and the realness of that bear is beyond peradventure.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,907 Admiral
    Daytime beers only on vacation.   Or after 530
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Different people see different things in a photo, cc13! That's why in my NavIntCom work for the Navy we always had several photo interpreters look over photography---ground and aerial. In this photo I see a Live Oak that is native to the Deep South, ground vegetation that probably ties it to our area or close by, and, most probably, the foliage of a South Florida Slash Pine tree that grows only within a 15 mile strip along the Florida Gulf Coast. I see no bear next to the tree simply because I have a column of Florida Sportsman Sites listed, about 50-60 of 'em, down the right side of my computer screen blocking out the tree base, and I don't know how to get rid of it! And, when I post this message, the message will remain at the bottom of my screen forever, and I don't know how to get rid of it! I have no problems with the format of the 2 or 3 other message boards I monitor, but trying to figure out FloridaSportsman format is a "bucket of you know what"!

• Geno67Geno67 Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Man that is so cool. Thanks for sharing.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,862 Admiral
    We are into mating season so they are more active now. Will slow down until fall when they go on a feeding binge to get ready for winter.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,407 Admiral
    trout069 said:
    Ga dnr captured the bear hanging around the Marta station yesterday and took it way up north. 
    They saved that bear from being mugged!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file