I Talk Too Much

From here on out, though, I'm keeping my mouth shut! One of the problems with the on-set of old age is that you want to share your knowledge accumulated over a lifetime with the younger set to help them out and get their minds to thinking in the right direction. Here's what triggered my "belly aching".

Up on the General Hunting Thread deer herd management and antler size is a subject that came up--"AR's and Managing Deer Herds". I know a little about this subject being that my education is in forest and wildlife management and I've had over 50 years experience. I offered a suggestion on how to increase antler size through the use of fertilizers, and I get such dumbsh** comments about "does it make the antlers taste better?

We've got a darn good bunch here on our Northwest Thread. Common sense and intelligence reigns here, but not necessarily on the other floridasportsman Boards! 

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,056 Moderator

From here on out, though, I'm keeping my mouth shut! One of the problems with the on-set of old age is that you want to share your knowledge accumulated over a lifetime with the younger set to help them out and get their minds to thinking in the right direction. Here's what triggered my "belly aching".

Up on the General Hunting Thread deer herd management and antler size is a subject that came up--"AR's and Managing Deer Herds". I know a little about this subject being that my education is in forest and wildlife management and I've had over 50 years experience. I offered a suggestion on how to increase antler size through the use of fertilizers, and I get such dumbsh** comments about "does it make the antlers taste better?

We've got a darn good bunch here on our Northwest Thread. Common sense and intelligence reigns here, but not necessarily on the other floridasportsman Boards! 

So very true. :)
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 36 Greenhorn
    You are correct on the fertilizer. While I live full time in Florida I do own a hunting farm in Kentucky and will tell you first hand that soil quality is the number 1 factor in a deer herd reaching it's full genetic potential along with correct management practices. While I bleed Florida colors, but my fellow statesmen and friends of mine  do not put management and education first priority. Florida can grow sizable deer even with our soil and its challenges. Things as simple as fertilizing your acorn and fruit trees will help. Its amazing to me the amount of benefits deer receive in Kentucky just from it's natural forage from the quality soil and its benefits along without planting any food plots. Just fertilize your native plants if one is pressed for time during the growing season (now).For Florida soil, the proper use of lime and fertilizer will make a difference in the long run with proper management practices. 
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 624 Officer
    Think it's just a case of your in depth knowledge wasted on an ignorant audience. I appreciate your sharing on a vast number of subjects. 
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,941 Captain
    I can end all management arguments with one sentence.
    Age, genetics, and nutrition are the keys to managing a herd, with age and nutrition being the only factors you can change.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,439 Officer

Please don't. I enjoy your words of widsom and learn something almost everytime I read a thread that you comment in. I routinely look at a few sections here on FS including the Off Topic but I seldom comment just because of what you said. I'm all for fooling around and having a little fun but when someone posts a serious comment or when someone post a comment that is directly related to their life's experience or their line of work then I try to learn something from that.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    I like reading your posts.  You know your business.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,107 AG
    He (WR) may be old but go to the Farmer's Market and hang out with him and watch his way with the wimmins!!! I learn there too :D
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,056 Moderator
    Hope your wife isn't looking over your shoulder. :)
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 759 Officer
    Well I always learn something Mr.Pouncey, did with that post too.
    I sure understand though.
    And you are correct, you guys got something good going on. Would have loved to crash your party(and would have)
    but heading down to Ozello tomorrow to relax for the week.
    Have fun y'all and "all is not lost" woodsrunner!!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,107 AG
    Hope your wife isn't looking over your shoulder. :)

She's not there :D I just sit back, listen and learn.

Keep on keeping on Mr. Rich. You know where you can have good conversations on FS.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,849 Captain

Thanks Fellas for your confidence--it is sincerely appreciated!

Now on the "Wimmins" issue! I'm no expert there! "Wimmins" are the most difficult "wildlife management" problem that you'll ever encounter! I have come to this conclusion, however, after a lifetime of close observation of the gender!

"Wimmins" are born with their brains in their head where it belongs! Men are born with their brains in their testicles, and until a man successfully moves his brains from there to his head he won't even begin to understand the very basics of "Wimmins"! ;-) 

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 759 Officer
    Maybe just need better fertilizer?
    Hell, I'm not so sure I even want to understand.LOL
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    One of my aunts had a miniature headstone curio piece.  I've remembered it since I was 6-7 yr's old.

Paw Loved Maw
    Maw Loved Paw
    Maw Caught Paw
    With 2 Wimmin in Swimmin
    Here Lies Paw.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file