Kid fishing suggestions Port Charlotte area

I am new to the area, just moving to North Port.
I have my grand kids with me for the next two weeks and would like to take them fishing.

I have an offshore capable cat, but really did not want to go offshore with them at this time, too young.

So I was thinking I'd like to take them somewhere in the harbor, inshore, or along the shoreline.

I'm not after any specific species, really just want them to get some action. Light to medium tackle. Nothing heavy. I was thing maybe baiting up for small shark. I was also thinking about going to B.G. inlet to try for Tarpon, but I do not have much experience with Tarpon.
I could really use some ideas. I can trailer the boat out to the general Port Charlotte area, so I am hoping that opens up some options.
Might do a charter if someone can go out any day the 16th through 19th, but was thinking it may be late notice. It would be me and 4 kids.

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,634 Captain
    Just a heads up... if the kids are young (say under 12 or so), taking them tarpon fishing to Boca isn't a good idea.  For one your chances of hooking up is almost zero (since you've never done it before), and for two the action is REALLY slow (especially if you've never done it before) so keeping them engaged can prove difficult.  However... if they're rolling like crazy like they've been doing lately it's definitely a cool sight to see for 30 minutes.
    Honestly I'd just tool around Lemon Bay and drift the flats with shimp on a cork.  You'll pick up enough fish to keep them (and yourself) busy.  Fishing from a dock or the beach could be fun also... then you can space them out some and not worry so much about somebody getting a hook in the face.

If you want some deeper waters, grab some shrimp and pinfish and fish the deep holes in Charlotte Harbor.  You'll catch catfish, sharks, possibly even a tarpon or a cobia.  

-Mag
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Thanks Keith, sounds like great suggestions .
    I will be booking with you after the kids have gone home.

I was kind of thinking the same thing regarding tarpon. They are not old enough yet to have the required patience, and I certainly don't have the experience.

So yeah just looking for the basic hookups on bait which is why I was thinking shark. But am open to other suggestions.

Where and how deep is Lemon Bay?

Thanks again!
  • yellowdogyellowdog Posts: 147 Deckhand
    If you go to the pass to watch the tarpon, hit the phosphate docks with your shrimp. The railroad tressle in Placida is another good place. The reefs in the harbor itself are a lot of fun. Take some chum and your shrimp on carolina rigs. We do best on the reef just outside of Turtle Bay. It is marked by two buoys. We do best around the western most buoy.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,634 Captain
    Lemon bay ranges from 0' to 10'... I'd say the majority of it is about 3-4' on high tide.  Might be a little shallow for the cat depending on your draft.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    I think I will head out to watch the tarpon. Kids will get a kick out of that. Then fish the harbor and try Placida.
    This is going to be a learning experience, just starting to check out the harbor.

All good fun, thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file