Fish with your moderator

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,249 Moderator
I'm toying with an idea that I think would be pretty fun for all parties involved. You, the forum member, tell me where in south or central Florida to meet you, we go fishing, and I post up a report or video on it. You see, we used to have many more active members and they would post up fishing reports and I would sometimes bump into members on the water or at the beach and chime in. Sadly the number of fishing reports (and active members) has decreased, and I feel like we need to give this forum some life-support!

I don't have any official backing from the magazine, or swag to hand out, but I'd be willing to travel on a weekend (once my day job settles down in a few months), then we meet, fish, and maybe even enjoy a beer after. If you have suggestions, comment in this thread.

Cheers,
Chris
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,694 Admin
    Sounds like a great idea'
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,237 Officer
    edited April 29 #3
    Good idea. I would also like to offer up my services to any duck hunters. Just show me your honey holes and I’ll bring my buddy’s and post it all over the internet. You’re welcome! Cheers!
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,034 Moderator
    I think it's a great idea. Videos, pictures and reports do not have to give away spots and preferences. 
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Excellent idea. What if a couple of kayakers from a said area met up with you ? I doubt you would come up to the Sarasota area, but it's really nice and the fishing is very good.  
    image-logo.png
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,288 Moderator
    Sounds good. I try to get out with other members when I can. I get life to settle a bit and I want to do this.
    I have some really good duck spots.. 

For off season..  :D
    "You'll get your weather"
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,711 Admin
    I echo..."sounds like a great idea"  We don't have a ton of swag, but I'm sure I can muster up some mags, etc.  We can help promote as well.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,249 Moderator
    SportsFan said:
    Excellent idea. What if a couple of kayakers from a said area met up with you ? I doubt you would come up to the Sarasota area, but it's really nice and the fishing is very good.  
    My brother in law is from Sarasota, and I hear good things, so its actually on my list of places to visit.
    I would also welcome members to join me down here in Broward county and I could take them to Pompano Beach or Dania Beach. I can't promise a good catch, but I think it would be great to get together, compare notes about kayaks & rigging and fish together.

Regarding secret spots, I think this is a fair point, and I wouldn't give out exact locations unless I had the hosting member's blessing. I never go kayaking alone, so there is no threat from me personally coming to someone's secret spot uninvited.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,490 Officer
    It would be nice to see some posts from new areas rather than the same few anglers periodically posting :)
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 130 Deckhand
    So count me in if you visit Sarasota ! Hey and just so you know I don't even know what a secret spot is ! lol.  I fish mainly a little further north around Palma Sola and Anna Maria. Sarasota Bay for me would be a new place to Kayak. 
     Next time out in the kayak I will post a report.   
    image-logo.png
    It would be nice to see some posts from new areas rather than the same few anglers periodically posting :)
    I would have posted a report from Sunday's Dania trip, but I got skunked, so it would have been a very short report! :D
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,490 Officer
    jcanracer said:
    I would have posted a report from Sunday's Dania trip, but I got skunked, so it would have been a very short report! :D
    I know, nobody wants to report a bad trip, but it helps us all to know how fishing is in different areas.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,905 Admiral
    I try to always post a report whether i catch fish or not.  or if a remora grabs my lipping tool and swims away with them.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,612 Admiral
    Except for the past two and a half weeks I have been fishing at least 2 times a week or more. But to take the time to post a report and then get little to no responses just wasn't worth it to me. Now if you would like to wander up to the Destin area I would gladly put you on some fish. This does however sound like a good idea.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Aye Spiney, I know what you mean. Meanwhile general forum gets a few hopeful youtube stars who ALWAYS post their adventures :D  Destin is quite a ways away for me, but I have always thought it looked like a beautiful area and quite fishy.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,612 Admiral
    Yes it is very good fishing up here. Now I must say the Trout are not as big as the ones I used to catch while growing up on Merritt Island, but they are plentiful. The reds are thick up here as well. I will say I have been wearing them out though since I got my yak. I am having an absolute blast with it for sure. I was down in your neck of the woods just yesterday but just for traveling.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• dcrdcr Posts: 272 Deckhand
    edited June 7 #18
    I'm in.  Next time I'm down, expect a holler.   Sanibel area usually.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 272 Deckhand
    dcr said:
    I'm in.  Next time I'm down, expect a holler.
    Sanibel area. usually

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file