Maybe I will start hunting coyotes

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 415 Deckhand
Never thought I would.  No real desire whatsoever.  But I'm growing motivated as I watch them impact 'my' deer repeatedly!

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 415 Deckhand
    Pretty sure she's carrying too

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,971 Admiral
    That a bite mark on the ear and neck?  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I believe so.  These were just the best pics of several.  Don't know how else the ears would get like that.  Bobcat I suppose?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,971 Admiral
    possibly
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,077 Admiral
    One of my hunting Pards sat in one of my best stands last year for a morning , He shot 2 of . When I asked him where they were...He left them laying in the dang Trail.
    Nothing like rotten Cayotes and 100 Buzzards to really liven up your Hot Trail to the Bedding area...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,857 Captain
    The only thing I shot during turkey season, :( the coyote came right in to my calling, there were 2 of them, unfortunately I only got one.

I seriously doubt a bob cat would attack a deer, maybe a fawn, maybe.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 923 Officer
    edited June 6 #8
    Go easy - no evidence of coyotes or bobcats in your pictures.

The hair loss is natural - wait as we get more and more into summer - you're gonna see chunks of hair missing until the summer coat is all they have. 

The ears get ripped and torn up when the deer run thru the thick stuff.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 313 Deckhand
    Shooting coyotes has always seemed like a great way to ruin a deer sit. I always let them pass. As for hunting them in the off season, you ain't gonna put a dent in their numbers or save deer from predation. IMO it's not worth burning the household "political capital" to be in the woods, better off fishing or catching up on sleep and chores. 
    edited June 6 #10
    Well, I sure as **** ain't ruining a deer sit. I've let pigs pass which I'm happy to harvest otherwise.  When I'm deer hunting, I'm deer hunting.  I was thinking more during small game if at all. 

Actually, I think they should open up a night time predator/hog season (or at least coyotes and hogs).  Maybe during the summer to extend hunting season.  I think that could help recruitment too.

And about the coyote problem.  Couldn't dogs be used to make an impact?  They're so dang efficient.  I don't know why we aren't running them all around the state to deal with the hogs. 
  • Ghostrider11bGhostrider11b Callahan, FlPosts: 12 Greenhorn
    I certainly wouldnt mind a hog season. If you arent fortunate enough to be in a club, waiting for a random other season to open so you can hunt hog is a pain. Not to mention that usually means deer archery which means I would rather stick a buck then a hog.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file