Great day out of Hernando Saturday (with video!)

37 miles off Hernando Beach. Decided to give it a shot instead of our usual spots west of Anclote. Nice drive out with long rollers under 2 feet. Stopped closer in at 32 feet first on an old spot of mine that I haven't hit in years. Viz wasn't great and so not too productive, but James and my brother saw nice ARS . . . . in 32 feet of water! Got a few hogs.

Headed out to 52 feet on spots I haven't dove in 3 years and some other spots I had numbers for but never dove.

JACKPOT! Me and Tim dove one spot that was LOADED with fish. Huge gags (saw one that had to be at least 36 inches), monster ARS (some that to my eyes looked north of 30 inches), lots of mangos (found them!) and some nice hogs. I shot my limit of hogs in 10 minutes on this spot and there were at least a dozen more that I saw.

Video to come - no sharks that I saw, great viz in 50+ feet, no current. Also encountered and got video of some fish I had never seen before - Orange Filefish. Very cool!

Coming back in was awesome - I did WOT at 37 mph almost all the way back in. Weather was great and only saw lightning once and that further south and east inland.

Lot of radio chatter all day on 16 - lots of groundings, injuries, missing kayaker, etc. Glad I wasn't anywhere near Pasco or Pinellas.

Video from the day - the Golden Filefish were the highlight of my day, but the ARS and gags we saw were HUGE!

https://youtu.be/-0LpesY6Uyc

Replies

• permit_mepermit_me Posts: 814 Officer
    hopefully they will still be there next week!
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 105 Deckhand
    permit_me said:
    hopefully they will still be there next week!

It's like they KNOW when June 1 comes around!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,218 Captain
    Good dill, cool vid
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,199 Officer
    Great report Eric! Hopefully we will have some good weather next Friday!  Was supposed to be swordfishing in the Keys this weekend but that got scrubbed...........
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 290 Deckhand
    You guys are living right, man. Good for you. Thanks for sharing 
    drgibby said:
    Great report Eric! Hopefully we will have some good weather next Friday!  Was supposed to be swordfishing in the Keys this weekend but that got scrubbed...........
    Thanks, Doc!  I can't wait to get out there again and check out the spots you gave me - some were relatively nearby.  Hope you can get out as well and check out some of those spots I sent you further south.  Sorry about the swordfishing but **** that weather down there this weekend looked horrible.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 673 Officer
    nice job
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • NatureCoastGuideNatureCoastGuide Homosassa, Ceder Key FloridaPosts: 10 Greenhorn
    Awesome! Nice work..

Sheila Morgan
    Nature Coast Guides
    www.naturecoastguides.com
    Sheila Morgan
    Nature Coast Guides
    www.naturecoastguides.com

Thanks, everyone.  Great day and I'm happy with the way the video turned out.  Some amazing structure and fish life we have around here.  Hoping to find more and spend more time just simply exploring and taking video.  Though those gags and ARS are just begging for some seasonings, butter, and sides :)

• pnj2108pnj2108 Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    i recognize that inlet thanks for the great report hopefully next week when i make it out there the gags are hungry.
    pnj2108 said:
    i recognize that inlet thanks for the great report hopefully next week when i make it out there the gags are hungry.

You are welcome.  Hopefully more great reports to come.  I have plans to get out next Thursday, Friday, and Monday the 11th.
    grey2112 said:
    pnj2108 said:

You are welcome.  Hopefully more great reports to come.  I have plans to get out next Thursday, Friday, and Monday the 11th.

How far offshore did you run?
    38 miles

grey2112 said:
    38 miles

i guess i should have read your initial post again lol
    drgibby said:
    Did you get out at all the past few days?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file