Penn Spinning Reel Screw Replacement

I have some new pen SSV and Battle reels. The screws are very soft and I know from past experience they will tear before coming undone if I don’t replace them. Does anybody have an idea what size screws these are and where I can get solid replacements? Thank you for your help. 

Replies

• Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 931 Officer
    edited March 13 #2
    If the reels are still new, take the time to back out every screw, liberally apply grease to the threads, then reseat. Clean off the excess and you will be good to go every time you need to service your reels.

I have almost a dozen of assorted ssv's and have never had an issue with any screws on them. 
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 117 Deckhand
    Will do Captain and thank you. I would still like to find old fashioned strong screws though. 
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 931 Officer
    Bring the screws to a local machine shop.  In Fort Pierce, Turner Machine either has what you need, or they can get it for you.
  • XafXaf Posts: 947 Officer
    I agree with Capt AW about greasing the screws.  BTW, I haven't had much luck in the past finding replacement screws at any of the local hardware stores.  They must be a funky size. 
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 117 Deckhand
    I think they purposely use inferior screws in hopes you will have to buy new reel. Seems remarkably cheap to add cost of quality screws to a reel costing over $100. 
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,198 Captain
    It has to do with the balance of the rotor, not the cost of the screw.   Brass weighs more than aluminum.  Every part on the rotor has to be weighed and considered in the balance of the rotor or it will wobble horrendously.  As grandpa  said "boy to some, the obvious isn't."   

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file