Purina Tropical Fish Food

Hey guys,

Looking for a location to buy purinas fish food for chum. I used it years ago but cant seemed to find it recently. Any one have a location in the Tampa area. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• me00351me00351 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I just got a bag at the feed depot in Lutz on hwy 41.
    it was $38 for a 40 lb bag. 
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,122 Moderator
    Tarpon Fishing Outfitters carries it, as does Tampa Fishing Outfitters.  I assume our St Pete store also has it.   4 lb bags, 20# buckets or 50# bags.  you can also purchase it at the Feed Store at Fox's Corner, Gunn Highway and  North Mobley Road
  • grey_beardgrey_beard Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    I get it at Shell's on Nebraska ave.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,903 Moderator
    Tarpon Fishing Outfitters carries it, as does Tampa Fishing Outfitters.  I assume our St Pete store also has it.   4 lb bags, 20# buckets or 50# bags.  you can also purchase it at the Feed Store at Fox's Corner, Gunn Highway and  North Mobley Road

^^That^^
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 538 Officer
    Shell's on nebraska is the cheapest..under $30 for a 50lb bag
  • TailSpotterTailSpotter St.PetePosts: 35 Greenhorn
    What else do you guys mix with it (if anything)
  • me00351me00351 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I mix it with water in a 1 gal plastic tub. Whatever is left goes into the freezer for next time. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,905 Admiral
    Why can I not find this online? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    What else do you guys mix with it 
    I mix it with menhaden milk or chum cloud
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 613 Officer
    I just wet it down to the consistency of paste and don't add anything to it, works great.  I get it at Smelt's Feed on E 7th Avenue, between Ybor and 50th St.
  • tim htim h Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I'm new at fishing the Gulf so this may sound ****...

This is used for cast netting for bait ?
  • TailSpotterTailSpotter St.PetePosts: 35 Greenhorn
    tim h said:
    I'm new at fishing the Gulf so this may sound ****...

This is used for cast netting for bait ?
    Yes...MIx it with water (or see above comments) and ball it up..throw it around your boat and wait for the little shinny things to come get it. Then throw your net over the top of them. Go fishing...then when you are done fishing ask someone on the ramp if they would like some bait that was left over. 
  • Rodfather73Rodfather73 Tampa, FlPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the help guys. I FOUND IT. I love the internet
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,877 Captain
    Some folks mixed in oatmeal... sayin'
    God, save the South!
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 673 Officer
    just started using this - tried it 2 weeks ago, definitely better than Purina because it sinks first.. also my purina always goes bad before i can use it all.

bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • Rodfather73Rodfather73 Tampa, FlPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    Yeah the boca product is good and works very well. The only down side is cost. 4 dollars per lb. Not sure why it sinks though. I've noticed a slight residue when using the product as well
    just started using this - tried it 2 weeks ago, definitely better than Purina because it sinks first.. also my purina always goes bad before i can use it all.

Hey man, to avoid it going bad, you can either put in a bunch of gallon ziplock bags and throw in the deep freezer or do what I do and use a vacuum sealer and seal the bags up and use as needed. I go through that stuff like crazy but during a slow month or two this will keep it from going bad. 
  • grey_beardgrey_beard Posts: 28 Greenhorn

When you say "goes bad", what exactly happens to it?
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 673 Officer
    Clarosa- i havent thought about using vacuum sealer and freezing . it thaws out ok?.
    grey beard - bugs get into it, lay eggs..even in 'tupper wear' containers.. it will also start to mold
    Rod - you 're right it's a little more expensive

FYI - I usually just use a chum block unless im on the flats or  specifically targeting pilchards.. I get the block thawing prior so its ready to disperse as soon as we anchor up..
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,905 Admiral
    Clarosa- i havent thought about using vacuum sealer and freezing . it thaws out ok?.
    grey beard - bugs get into it, lay eggs..even in 'tupper wear' containers.. it will also start to mold

FYI - I usually just use a chum block unless im on the flats or  specifically targeting pilchards.. I get the block thawing prior so its ready to disperse as soon as we anchor up..
    We built a cage for our chum blocks out of hardware cloth, zip ties, and a weight, gets the chum down in the water column and it disperses much more quickly.  It seems like when it floats on top it takes forever to start drumming up business but just 3 feet down in 5 minutes we had a swarm of pins/grunts/baitfish.   

I also took some leftover pins, threw them in the blender with oatmeal and a little water and blended that into a disgusting smoothie, bagged and froze it.  I'm going to throw it into my livewell and occasionally hit the aerator to put water on it and let it ooze out a nice chum slick that won't block my plumbing.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    The fish food is definitely good but I've always the best luck with good 'ol fashioned oats and jack mack.  Especially on the flats for greenies. 

Yessir...I usually buy the 50lb bags for under $30 and vacuum seal it all. Stays forever. I misplaced one for over a year, and found it and when I cut it open, perfectly fresh. If you vacuum seal them you don't need a freezer. Freeze them only if you don't have a vacuum sealer. And btw it freezes the same way coffee would or something of that sort. Doesn't change, just gets cold haha.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 455 Deckhand
    Just mackerel and oatmeal. It works every time for me
  • ClassicAQClassicAQ Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Park Feed Store & Pet Supply in Pinellas Park carries the 50lb bag.  I think it's $40-$45.  Purina manufacturers numerous types of fish food, so be sure to get the one with the highest protein percentage...I think it's 43%...oily the better.
  • CaptCozzaCaptCozza Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Add some clean sand in your Purina mixture if you want it to sink faster...
  • bordeauxbordeaux Posts: 109 Deckhand
    I just bought a 50lb bag yesterday at Shells on Nebraska for $25.95 tax tag and title
    2017 Beavertail Skiff Mosquito

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file