kayak with trolling motor

WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 37 Greenhorn
is it true that you would have to register one?  What would that cost annually?

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,205 Admiral
    yes you have to register all vessels that are powered.    I don't know the cost but i would be surprised if it's more than about $30 bucks.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    thank you.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,497 Officer
    It depends on how much the vessel is worth, I believe you will need to show a purchase receipt to help determine that.  I have heard that it is less than $30 annually.
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 438 Deckhand
    Would that also require or would it be highly suggested to also get insurance since it is then a licensed power boat?
  • krashkrash Posts: 559 Officer
    Here is a link to a post on "How to Register" in Florida, from experienced persons. More than one of us has been through the experience with new and used paddle-craft after adding a trolling or fuel-powered motor. 
    The experience is definetly different depending on where you live/go to get it done. 
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    Basstar said:
    Would that also require or would it be highly suggested to also get insurance since it is then a licensed power boat?
    Most of the boat owner that I know in Sth Florida are uninsured.  Insurance is always nice if one can afford it. Sometimes the cost to benefit ratio makes it unpractical.
  • Oldsmar GuyOldsmar Guy Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Not only do you have to register it, but you also have to have all the safety devices as well while on the water - life jacket, flares, etc. I have my Big Tuna powered by a Torqeedo and have been stopped a couple times for a safety check by law enforcement. I believe you have to have three signaling devices, so I have flares, a mirror and a whistle. It is not required to carry insurance on your vessel though.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,253 Moderator
    I carry flares, whistle, and flashlight even though I am not motorized. Seemed like a good idea to me.

I'm stubborn about the whole motor business. I won't do it, because at that point I might as well get a microskiff, but I do get jealous of y'all sometimes...
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    jcanracer said:
    I carry flares, whistle, and flashlight even though I am not motorized. Seemed like a good idea to me.

I'm stubborn about the whole motor business. I won't do it, because at that point I might as well get a microskiff, but I do get jealous of y'all sometimes...

Yeah, I thought about getting a micro skiff, but then I didn't want to run into challenges that people always seem to have with boats - electrical, batteries, etc. I really love the torqeedo. It is lightweight, hands free, the GFS throttle is killer and I have linked in with cables that were hooked up to my rudder, so I steer with my feet. Plus, as for my kayak, I have the Big Tuna and I have a plumbing free, electrical free live well that keeps bait alive all day long. I love my yak!
    That's kinda where I am at with it.  I am between getting a used skiff or a tricked out kayak.  It seems like almost the same money upfront either way.  The kayak with trolling motor is appealing because I think the maintenance requirements and costs will be much lower.  Only downside really is I can't bring a friend or two with me.
    WetBandit said:
    That's kinda where I am at with it.  I am between getting a used skiff or a tricked out kayak.  It seems like almost the same money upfront either way.  The kayak with trolling motor is appealing because I think the maintenance requirements and costs will be much lower.  Only downside really is I can't bring a friend or two with me.

I have a yak that can ride solo or tandem. When I have a buddy fishing with me in the yak all day long, we usually cruise around at 3 - 3.5mph. Of course, once we approach a "spot", I kill the motor and trim it up and paddle my way in. I only go full throttle at the end of the day and that usually cruises two people at 5-5.5mph. I'm not trying to break any speed records in my yak, but paddling a 14 1/2 footer all day long gets tired, that's why I got the motor. Not too sure where you are located, but a buddy of mine has a kayak shop B&C Yaks based in the Palm Harbor/Dunedin area. I call this guy my kayak doctor. He is the man when it comes to tricking out yaks. 
    I'm currently in Tallahassee and moving to Jacksonville in short order for a job so I'll be going back and forth for a little bit.  I've thought a lot about getting a kayak or boat for awhile but it's the perceived lack of flats and wadable areas in NE Florida that have me looking to make a move now.  I've been able to do a lot of quality fishing on foot along the forgotten coast until now.  Thanks for the recommendation, I may contact him for some help once I get a craft picked out.
    jcanracer said:

If I was an inshore angler, I might consider a micro skiff.  For offshore, I have yet to see one that looks sea worthy enough.  The angler sits too high off the water.  When lithium ion batteries become more affordable, I would love to put an electric engine on my yak, and always temped by the range of gas motors.  I have been resisting the change, but it will happen some day.
  • WC53WC53 Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    I have a big tuna also. I need to look into something like you have. Getting old and that thing is heavy
    "Reality, the bane of ICC everywhere."
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    I too have a big tuna with a trolling motor and love it. I used an Island Outboards mount assy and an variable speed 55 lb motor. Not sure how fast it is perhaps 3-4 mph, but I can go all day. The advantages are when the wind, tide, and or current is against you, how sweet it is to motor through it especially on your way back in. The downside is it's a barge and that comes with much weight. The trolling motor bracket assy with the counter weight for balance is about 15 lbs or so. Add that to the 102 lb empty boat weight and that's a bunch. If you add the motor, a seat, battery and fish gear I suspect approx 225 lbs. Even empty it's a chore to load especially on the roof of a Suburban. Mine is not registered. I know,  but in my antiquated way of thinking if the motor is not permanent, meaning I can take it or leave it do I really have to register it. Yes is most likely the correct answer. After 3 years of using this boat I have never been pulled over or checked or anything. I enjoy the extra range the trolling motor allows. I am considering a trailer for it as I could have just about everything set up for a day on the water and then unload at a boat ramp if need be. BTW, I also have another big tuna that's a paddle only. Luv that one too. 
    image-logo.png
    SportsFan said:
    I too have a big tuna with a trolling motor and love it. I used an Island Outboards mount assy and an variable speed 55 lb motor. Not sure how fast it is perhaps 3-4 mph, but I can go all day. The advantages are when the wind, tide, and or current is against you, how sweet it is to motor through it especially on your way back in. The downside is it's a barge and that comes with much weight. The trolling motor bracket assy with the counter weight for balance is about 15 lbs or so. Add that to the 102 lb empty boat weight and that's a bunch. If you add the motor, a seat, battery and fish gear I suspect approx 225 lbs. Even empty it's a chore to load especially on the roof of a Suburban. Mine is not registered. I know,  but in my antiquated way of thinking if the motor is not permanent, meaning I can take it or leave it do I really have to register it. Yes is most likely the correct answer. After 3 years of using this boat I have never been pulled over or checked or anything. I enjoy the extra range the trolling motor allows. I am considering a trailer for it as I could have just about everything set up for a day on the water and then unload at a boat ramp if need be. BTW, I also have another big tuna that's a paddle only. Luv that one too. 

I love my Big Tuna! I wound up taking the middle compartment and drilling about 5 dozen small pinholes in it, so when I lower it, I can keep live bait in it all day long with no electric pumps or plumbing lines. I have never had bait die on me. That is one of the reasons I bought the Big Tuna. What do you use your middle compartment for?
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,253 Moderator
    If I was an inshore angler, I might consider a micro skiff.  For offshore, I have yet to see one that looks sea worthy enough.  The angler sits too high off the water.  When lithium ion batteries become more affordable, I would love to put an electric engine on my yak, and always temped by the range of gas motors.  I have been resisting the change, but it will happen some day.
    What do you think of the Stealth Kayaks skiff that RokitKit has been using recently?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Oldsmar Guy : I use the center compartment for the same thing. I have six 3/16" holes in mine and it works perfectly for bait. I don't even lower it anymore, makes it to far to reach down for the bait from the high seat position.  
    image-logo.png
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,025 Captain
    edited May 31 #20
    An appealing aspect of electric power on a kayak is the hull design is efficient, powers easily, and running via paddle is not compromised.
    Maybe time for a new design craze.......
    Microskiff/Kayak Blend.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    FloridaOD said:

Mucroskiff/Kayak Blend.

This has been done, check out the Bote Rover, SoloSkiff, BeaverTail Ambush... and an assortment of others.
    edited May 27 #22
    krash said:
    FloridaOD said:

Mucroskiff/Kayak Blend.

This has been done, check out the Bote Rover, SoloSkiff, BeaverTail Ambush... and an assortment of others.
    They all look interesting, but none look comfortable for long hours of fishing offshore.  They need to make one with a comfortable chair to sit in that has a low center of gravity so one does not feel like they might capsize.

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,025 Captain
    edited May 31 #23
    Current offerings such as Solo are interesting, I believe will be viewed as early attempts as far as relatively inexpensive roto- molded type.
    the Ambush is grand.
    i have been messing around with an Old Town Solo Guide, “ double blade paddle” ( Kayak paddle) and wonder if a blend of sit on top and canoe might be a hint to new design- a vessel that truly paddles decently but capable of accommodating electric motor and small outboard.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    There are quite a few SOT type kayaks that have pedal power with optional electric powered motor that fits into the pedal pod.

Last week I saw in a shop a Hobie set-up with an adapter that fit the mirage hole with one of the Bixby (a stretch calling it a jet) drives. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file