FWC and Illegal Swordfish Sales

Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,751 Admiral

FWC, do you watch this forum anymore??

If you do, why are you doing nothing about the illegal recreational swordfish wales?

Last week, instagram had a video of 2 recs with 5 fish in the boat. They were even stupid enough to video the name of the boat etched into the bait well.
When a legal comm fisherman went to sell his fish in Boynton, the seafood stor (with no dealer licens) had the 5 fish and didn't want any legal ones since he was over stocked.
At least half dozen large fish went to back door this weekend. ( when I guy has a 470 and shows only about 20 lbs of fish in the box after cleaning, the fish went to market!)

With the heavy sword bite going on even the illegal backdoor market is full of fish, but its ridiculous that no action is taken while the legal guys get the shaft!

FWC or NOAA law enforcement, private message me and I will mail the video proof

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,629 Captain

Ron, you may want to contact the local FWC Office near you with the info you provided here.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,441 Captain

Ron, good luck. If the FWC got funding to persue Swordfish violations from the Feds like they do for Crawfish and Red Snapper then you might see a change. Until then, nothing will happen. We all know what's going on locally.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 749 Officer

@conchydong said:
    Ron, good luck. If the FWC got funding to persue Swordfish violations from the Feds like they do for Crawfish and Red Snapper then you might see a change. Until then, nothing will happen. We all know what's going on locally.

that is not an excuse .....why do you need FWC to get money..don't they have undercover LE that sees this...it seems to me that the negative results of court decisions have made all LE agents,in all agencies , find out it is easier and much less trouble to turn their backs and drink coffee ......this has been going on for a while and is not the fault of the individual LE officer

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,412 Admiral

Ron, I have been all over FWC's **** about illegal stone crab traps here on the west coast, they will investigate but only write one $300 ticket even with multiple infractions.
    The scofflaws call the $300 a price of doing business.
    The field officers complain that the state attys office won't take their tickets seriously citing "we have murderers, rapists, and worse problems than a few fish (crabs, deer, etc)"
    I keep climbing up the ladder but haven't hit the right door yet.

I feel your pain.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,857 Captain

Man where have I heard that before. Hopefully there will be some action but usually it is too little too late.

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 464 Deckhand
    And I get checked in my little CC by myself by the "Guardian"
    Monster law boat (60' plus and 50 mph plus) to be sure I don't  have a snapper on Monday that I could have kept on Sunday. 
    Credibility is earned not given. 
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,706 Captain
    And I get checked in my little CC by myself by the "Guardian"
    Monster law boat (60' plus and 50 mph plus) to be sure I don't  have a snapper on Monday that I could have kept on Sunday. 
    Credibility is earned not given. 

Amen....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file