Summer snook in the surf

andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 574 Officer
I am hoping to get a snook from the surf this summer, was going to try around pompano beach-miami area, any tips on what time of year would be good to start?

also any beaches with better access etc as i know most get crowded after 0800
we need more internet money

Replies

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Usually Ill start seeing fish show up on the beach around now. Generally though I wait to fish once some bait shows up usually around June. Fish early mornings or evenings and throw small white flies. Don't be afraid to blind cast around bait and in the first trough too
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 574 Officer
    Cool thanks! Another thing i often question, knowing snook love structure it is hard for me to not head to the jetties or rocks, I have heard people get them on barren beaches or as you mentioned cruising the trough....maybe I just need to cover more ground in those areas.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,238 Captain

I've been catching them 200 miles north for the past 6 weeks.

My parents live in cocoa beach so maybe I should just pay them a visit!? lol again even there I do best by the port or the seb inlet, really trying to sight cast some on the fly, so figured south of fort pierce would be best, either way the chase is fun!
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 291 Deckhand
    The jetties are definitely a good area to target cause there will often be bait and snook close by, but don't be afraid to walk the beach to the south or north of the jetties as thats where you'll often find cruisers you can sight cast to
    The jetties are definitely a good area to target cause there will often be bait and snook close by, but don't be afraid to walk the beach to the south or north of the jetties as thats where you'll often find cruisers you can sight cast to
    awesome thanks, i cant wait sight fishing is highly addicting!

My parents live in cocoa beach so maybe I should just pay them a visit!? lol again even there I do best by the port or the seb inlet, really trying to sight cast some on the fly, so figured south of fort pierce would be best, either way the chase is fun!
     I'm in Sebastian (currently in the process of moving). Any beach south of pineda cswy is holding snook right now, but when conditions are right for seeing them, they usually don't cooperate. Overcast days are prime, and low tide is easier to fish. The inlet is a different game entirely, and I wish I didn't remember what that place used to be. I remember nights where I ran out of flies, and burning through a spool of 50lb seaguar in 3 days wasn't weird. It isn't like that anymore. You're better off in the surf.

I'm in Sebastian (currently in the process of moving). Any beach south of pineda cswy is holding snook right now, but when conditions are right for seeing them, they usually don't cooperate. Overcast days are prime, and low tide is easier to fish. The inlet is a different game entirely, and I wish I didn't remember what that place used to be. I remember nights where I ran out of flies, and burning through a spool of 50lb seaguar in 3 days wasn't weird. It isn't like that anymore. You're better off in the surf.
    wow that is crazy, I never got it that good, but did manage my fair share as a rookie....havnt been in a year.

Good to know they are still around in the surf, I used to only do well there during the mullet run, sucks they dredge filled the beaches around the surf break RC's used to do well in the coquina areas that are now covered :neutral:

wow that is crazy, I never got it that good, but did manage my fair share as a rookie....havnt been in a year.

Good to know they are still around in the surf, I used to only do well there during the mullet run, sucks they dredge filled the beaches around the surf break RC's used to do well in the coquina areas that are now covered :neutral:

Mother Nature is having none of it, and the majority of what they filled in is already gone. I avoid those rocks when I can. I'm fine with losing a few flies to treacherous habitat, but digging a line out of those rocks isn't fun. 
          It's shaping up to be a very good year in the surf. I'm seeing groups of HEAVY fish out there. And please keep your fish wet. Should you feel the need to lay a fish down in the sand for a photograph, just remember that most of us view that as a shameful practice (we've all done it). Don't be that guy. I've been known to occasionally buy pancakes for strangers I spot treating their fish with the respect they deserve.

Mother Nature is having none of it, and the majority of what they filled in is already gone. I avoid those rocks when I can. I'm fine with losing a few flies to treacherous habitat, but digging a line out of those rocks isn't fun. 
          It's shaping up to be a very good year in the surf. I'm seeing groups of HEAVY fish out there. And please keep your fish wet. Should you feel the need to lay a fish down in the sand for a photograph, just remember that most of us view that as a shameful practice (we've all done it). Don't be that guy. I've been known to occasionally buy pancakes for strangers I spot treating their fish with the respect they deserve.

Agreed, I learned a lot from how mountain trout guys treat their catches and how the fishes slime coat provides similar protection as our(humans) skin.......Im sure you know the pain of watching careless north jetty guys net up a big fish, let it flop on metal grates(cheese graders) and concrete then dont net it down but let it do the belly flop of death......I think they need a "net up net down" policy but that deserves its own post!

Cool you are seeing some tanks, as crappy as the banana river is the ocean seems cleaner than ever.
  • OLC55OLC55 Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Not to hijack the thread but got a question for you experienced guys. What type of retrieve do you typically use with snook? I’m a freshwater guy. I’ve read up on flies, where on the surf to fish (close/First trough) and when. I’m 0-3 so far this week. Have had some fun with ladyfish and small Spanish but I’m after the ghost. 
  • ljkljk Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    I dont do this a lot, but a couple guys who are on Sanibel beaches most every morning say dont event wade, a lot of times the big snook are right up on shore.  Wading scares them.
    OLC55 said:
    Not to hijack the thread but got a question for you experienced guys. What type of retrieve do you typically use with snook? I’m a freshwater guy. I’ve read up on flies, where on the surf to fish (close/First trough) and when. I’m 0-3 so far this week. Have had some fun with ladyfish and small Spanish but I’m after the ghost. 
      I change it up. Clear water gets a faster retrieve, usually 2 handed. When the water has a bit of color I fish painfully slow, with larger/darker patterns that suspend in the water column. A bead chain clouser in white ona #2 jig hook has been the ticket recently, but cold surf has slowed things down a bit.

Very nice! Any blind  casting involved?
    OLC55 said:
    Very nice! Any blind  casting involved?
        Always. Don't misunderstand, bluebird skies and clear water are fun if you like watching fish (I do). But if you want to catch them you'll want clouds, darkness, wind, rain, or a combination of the 4. If you can spot fish in the dark you don't need any advice from me.
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    ^^^to follow up on that thought, last year (May) I was down in the Venice area and cold front had come through and turned everything into much - it shut off the fishing for most of the species....except for snook. The only cooperative fish in stained water. Reminded me of how similar these fish are to our striped bass here in the NE...they like the slop
    albacized said:
    ^^^to follow up on that thought, last year (May) I was down in the Venice area and cold front had come through and turned everything into much - it shut off the fishing for most of the species....except for snook. The only cooperative fish in stained water. Reminded me of how similar these fish are to our striped bass here in the NE...they like the slop
    Absolutely. The days you see them typically aren't the days you're going to catch them, but there's always the chance that a 1 or 2 of those fish might make a bad decision. I went to school in Rhode Island, but I didn't have alot of time to fish up there. Caught a few worm hatches, just schoolies but good fun.
    Thanks for the help above. Stuck one yesterday and then Hit paydirt this AM. Amazing when I backed up, and walked slowly what was there. Found 6-7 this morning within 30 minutes of sunrise, spooked a few, then saw 2 cruising together. Very short cast, two strips and fish on. Good times!
  • SevenweightSevenweight Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    How is the beach fishing for snook on Sanibel this year? Did the red tide adversely affect it? Thanks in advance for any insights. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file