Any snook on the beaches

I have often enjoyed reading articles in florida sportsman about sight fishing for snook along the SE FL beaches, and was curious if they have made their way out to the beaches for summer yet. 

I did well one weekend last year in Miami but lack of good access and swimmers prevented me from fishing much more than an hour after sun up.
we need more internet money

Replies

• theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 24 Greenhorn
    With all of the pollution  and the water quality issues last year the snook fishing was the worse in the last 20 years. Had some luck when the water was cleaner but when the St Lucie Orlando Sewer pipe was opened the beach fishing was terrible! If they are dumping the Lake do not waste your time!
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 632 Officer
    The beach has been fine here in the Stuart area, if you can get out when the winds aren't dead east and the rain is pouring. At least for sightcasting. If you just want to get out and throw lures and hope to catch something, there are plenty of opportunities. You can walk down the beach from Bathtub Beach to the inlet, fish the whole way, fish the jetty, fish the flat south of Sailfish Point and fish all the way back. Should be plenty of fish to catch right now. Right along that blue line on the map, in the trough. Bounce a DOA Bait Buster slowly along the bottom.

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 443 Deckhand
    mikenav said:
    The beach has been fine here in the Stuart area, if you can get out when the winds aren't dead east and the rain is pouring. At least for sightcasting. If you just want to get out and throw lures and hope to catch something, there are plenty of opportunities. You can walk down the beach from Bathtub Beach to the inlet, fish the whole way, fish the jetty, fish the flat south of Sailfish Point and fish all the way back. Should be plenty of fish to catch right now. Right along that blue line on the map, in the trough. Bounce a DOA Bait Buster slowly along the bottom.

cool, thanks! I am planning a little snookin road trip trying to figure out when to pull the trigger. east wind and rain may help the blind cast bite, you like the bait buster over the DOA cals? im sure the size makes it easier to cast, to me they dont seem to have much action maybe a good thing!?
  • nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    edited May 17 #5
    I always fished Hobe Sound beach this time of year. Especially around high tide in the early evening. The snook are backlit by the sun and sight casting to them is pretty fun, and the sun is in their face, not yours.. When it is calmish the go to was the Rebel plug about the length of a finger mullet. https://www.rebellures.com/rebel-minnow
    When it blows hard like Andrew mentioned, the snook are still there, but I found that a white  feather jig or the DOA Baitbuster he mentioned will also work. When blind casting work the trough with casts almost parallel to the waterline. 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 443 Deckhand
    I always fished Hobe Sound beach this time of year. Especially around high tide in the early evening. The snook are backlit by the sun and sight casting to them is pretty fun, and the sun is in their face, not yours.. When it is calmish the go to was the Rebel plug about the length of a finger mullet. https://www.rebellures.com/rebel-minnow
    When it blows hard like Andrew mentioned, the snook are still there, but I found that a white  feather jig or the DOA Baitbuster he mentioned will also work. When blind casting work the trough with casts almost parallel to the waterline. 
    Cool! I read a couple nice articles on the web about it, and hobe sound was mentioned. Sounds like pretty much anywhere you can get on the beach is worth taking a stroll!
  • nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    There are some 20-30 pounders out there. My best is a 39" on 8 lb test - I was fishing for Whiting

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file