Blackfin Tuna off SE Florida - 20 April 2018

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,490 Officer
Launched off Deerfield Beach in the early AM to make bait.  It was not as easy as I had hoped, I found lots of pilchards at the Deerfield pier that were constantly falling off my Sabiki that has hooks for Goggle eyes.  I headed out with 1 pilchard and half a dozen gogs/runners as bait.  Activity was not as good as I had hoped.  I did not see any sky rocketing kings, and I later learned that I should have spent more time in shallow as there was still a good bite going on there for kings.  I headed out to the wrecks to find vertical jigging action was slow.  Since the current was not too bad, proceeded out to 350 ft where I meter a large amount of fish.  Most of the metered fish would not hit my vertical jig, but I did manage to get 5 Blackfin Tuna to bite.
Most of the metered Blackfin were not biting for good reason -- They were full.  This one had a bullet tuna, 2 flying fish and shrimp in his belly.  The bite maybe lasted 2 hours, then the current picked up and it became too difficult to work. 

I did not want to make a drift out of the day, so I headed in.  It was nice to finally catch some fresh tuna for sushi, cevichi and grilling :)  Tunas are out there, Go out and get them !

Replies

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,218 Captain
    Awesome
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,249 Moderator
    Hopefully they are out there this Saturday, I need my fix!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • msk99msk99 Posts: 277 Deckhand
    Great catch!
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 499 Deckhand
    awesome trip, and pics! I went on out of jacksonville FL and had five tunas as well, but we were 60 MILES OUT!!! I like your method better LOL looks like a lot of fun!
    we need more internet money
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 191 Deckhand
    BFT on jig - Sweet
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,490 Officer
    edited May 2 #7
    Whelan said:
    BFT on jig - Sweet
    Thanks -- especially the bigger ones that are more frequently taken on bait.  That was a big BFT you caught last weekend, I an assuming that was a goggle eye ?
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 191 Deckhand
    It was just short of 30lbs.  Yes - live bait - Goggle eye on flat line. 
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 535 Officer
    WTG John. Your tearing them up as usual. Question. I see your depth finder is on a mount that is higher than any other I've seen. Did you make that or buy it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
    Thanks Dave,  I made the mount using Ram components.  Follow the link to get an idea of what I used.  
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-BB-201-14U

The pipe requires gluing, and can be cut before you glue it.  Mine was cut down, and I used an 1-1/2" ball/socket on the base end.

Good luck.
  • DomDom Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Looking good, as usual, John. Out that deep you could do some quick drops for blue tilefish. 
    Dom said:
    Looking good, as usual, John. Out that deep you could do some quick drops for blue tilefish. 
    Thanks Dom,
    I had a Golden tile trip planned on a day when the wind forecast was West in the morning and East in the afternoon. We were able to fill our wells with Gogs, and after jigging up a few BFT in 350ft before heading out to 650, one of my mirage drive flippers unscrewed and slipped off :(  At 9am, we headed in against the morning wind and did not make it to the beach until noon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file