FWC says no to Jewfish harvest

Renagade69 wrote: »
Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,966 Admiral
    That antis win again....   The whole thing was decided based on the snowflakes losing their mind over the black bear hunt.  In an election year.... 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,436 Captain
    Once something goes away, it never comes back. Growing up we harvested Green Turtles, then they were banned. Then it was Conch and Jewfish. Not saying there wasn't reasons for it. Who knows what is next?

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 497 Deckhand
    All of these things are decided after people speak at the meetings. When over 50 speakers stand up and make their speech and 2 of them are for opening a season it was going to go the way it did. I see it every time. So a few dozen speakers make all the difference.  I don't fish deep water so I didn't have reason to go and comment. 
    It looked like there was a reasonable reason to allow limited harvest of juveniles, but there it is, no go. 
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Interesting for someone who spends time in FL and the NE  how different the restrictions are in FL vs NE.  Commercial interests have all the control when it comes to Stripe bass ,fluke,flounder and other species.  Stripers have been under substantial pressure for at least 10yrs and nothing is being done despite overwhelming numbers of fisherman at mtgs complaining things are getting worse every yr. How strange the different responses are in each area.
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 531 Officer
    Just to be clear, there was no vote to create or not create a limited season.  But, the Commissioners did instruct staff to continue research on the issue.  Odds are that there will eventually be some kind of season for Goliaths (Jewfish like they were known back when we could harvest them).
    Support the Snook & Gamefish Foundation
    http://sgf.gamefishcloud.com/

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file