CK 4-21

Didn't get a real early start because we knew the wind would be cranking, and it was when we got there about 10. Went out and dorked around on the flats for about 30 minutes, caught a few trout, and we noticed the wind was quickly dying and we knew we'd have a window to get to Seahorse reef. Got out there on pretty much dead low tide, started trolling and it was on. Mostly smaller spring-run fish but there were a few over 20" mixed in, and the bigger ones definitely preferred the clarkspoons to jigs. hits were fast and furious, many doubles and even triples, and several times we just stopped trolling and cast our lures. Around 2:30 all of the tackle we had pre-rigged the night before (much easier this way) was either gone or shredded and none of us felt the need to wire up any more, so we left them biting and rode in on glass. Final count was 37, we meant to stop at 30 but forgot to count. We could have easily filled our 3 man limit had we wanted to.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,227 Moderator
     Mac attack !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,698 Admiral
    Nice report.   Still haven't made it to CK.  It's on the list of places to visit this year, just like it was last year. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • smhsmh Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Good deal!  Thanks for sharing.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,080 Captain
    Good dill!!!
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • josh...BAMFjosh...BAMF Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Nice work.

• Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 530 Officer
    That's a load of fish. Nice report. Spring has begun.
    Grasshopper
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,456 AG
    yum
    spanish off the reef is great, hope you smoked a lot of it
    No political signature
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 980 Officer
    Nice report
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,314 Admiral
    frank said:
    yum
    spanish off the reef is great, hope you smoked a lot of it

My buddy smoked about a dozen, filleted the rest. They keep and freeze better than people give them credit for. Great raw too, absolutely melt in your mouth.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 980 Officer
    Do you season the fish before eating raw? 
  • NobelNobel Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Nice report.  Catch any small kings at sea horse?  This time last year we went and it was loaded with both smaller kings and Spanish.  I usually smoke the Spanish and make fish dip, sometimes I'll marinate and grill.    
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,314 Admiral
    Do you season the fish before eating raw? 

Yes. Sesame oil, soy sauce, wasabi powder, green onion and a little sriracha sauce. Cut it thin across the grain. Fish candy. And no kings this time, we went almost exactly a year ago to the day as well and caught a few. I'd rather eat the Spanish anyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file