Reaction to Trade Tarriffs

12346»

Replies

• riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 1,997 Captain
    You think this is new?

China  a has been playing the same game for years, it's nothing new. You need to read about the shiploads of soybeans we've delivered, only to have them refuse the load or hold the ship at bay for extended periods of time to renegotiate the price. 

They've played this game with  shipments of various items over the years. Quit acting like it's an open market that believes in fair trade. They're trying to renegotiate the price because they have an oversupply of sorghum incountry. You don't renegotiate the price before it leaves port, you wait until it's enroute...get a better deal. If they truly needed it they would've accepted the shipments.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 8,860 Admiral
    He's a straw grasper. It's what he does.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,322 AG
    Tariffs delayed 30 days.  Stay tuned. 
    Vote for the other candidate
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,418 Admiral
    so the world isn't going to come to an end after all
    Negotiations must be going well.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,110 Admin
    Resinhead said:
    Negotiations must be going well.
    We're postponing tariffs on the EU, Mexico and Canada, because they're not scaring easily and the smart people in Washington know that a trade war is a bad thing that will cost us jobs and hurt our economy.
    And China's not gonna play ball, either. Waste of time and hot air.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    Got a link for that?
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,924 Admiral
    Mister-Jr said:
    Tariffs delayed 30 days.  Stay tuned. 
    The art of the deal.  Chapter 1, make them **** themselves. 

Captain Todd Approves

Thanks. Sitting in a Dr's office and I'm bored.
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,193 Admiral
    Has anyone heard of The North American Free Trade Agreement(NAFTA) between the US, Canada and Mexico?  Why wasn't there a similar agreement established between the US and China?  Anyone know?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,643 Admiral
    edited May 2 #163
    I have heard of NAFTA.  lol

To answer your question about China:  No, there is NAFTA-style free trade agreement with China -- at best we are both partners in the WTO.  Why is anyone's guess, with my own being that neither one of us would agree to it given our trade imbalance and different national priorities -- the dynamic is quite different between the USA&NA countries and USA&China.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,707 AG

China Has Stopped Buying U.S. Soybeans, Bunge Says

Source: MSN/Bloomberg

The world’s biggest oilseed processor just confirmed one of the soybean market’s biggest fears: China has essentially stopped buying U.S. supplies amid the brewing trade war. 

“Whatever they’re buying is non-U.S.,” Bunge Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Soren Schroder said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “They’re buying beans in Canada, in Brazil, mostly Brazil, but very deliberately not buying anything from the U.S.” 

In a move that caught many in U.S. agriculture by surprise, China last month announced planned tariffs on American shipments of soybeans. As the market waited for the measure to take effect, there was some hope among traders and shippers alike that relations between the nations could ease in the meantime and the trade flow would continue. But that doesn’t seem to be the case, at least for now, according to Bunge. 

It’s “very clear” that the trade tensions have already stopped China from buying U.S. supplies, Schroder said. “How long that will last, who knows? But so long as there is this big cloud of uncertainty, that’s likely to continue.”

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/china-has-stopped-buying-us-soybeans-bunge-says/ar-AAwEhtY?li=BBnb7Kz 

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,110 Admin
    King_Me said:
    Has anyone heard of The North American Free Trade Agreement(NAFTA) between the US, Canada and Mexico?  Why wasn't there a similar agreement established between the US and China?  Anyone know?
    There have been a number of U.S.-China trade agreements, the most recent signed last May:

"The US and China have reached a 10-point trade deal that opens the Chinese market to US credit rating agencies and credit card companies.

Under the deal, China will also lift its ban on US beef imports and accept US shipments of liquefied natural gas.

In return, Chinese cooked chicken will be allowed into the US market and Chinese banks can enter the US market.

US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said the deal should reduce China's trade surplus with the US by the end of 2017.

Mr Ross told CNBC that the US had agreed to treat Chinese financial institutions in the same way as other foreign banks that wanted to open up activities in the US.

"Clearly China, whose banks are among the largest in the whole world, wants access to the US banking market," he said.

"As long as they can comply with the normal rules, they will get access...."

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39894119

Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,643 Admiral
    edited May 3 #166
    How would you compare the unilateral agreements w/China with NAFTA, Nuevo?

U.S. Farmers Are Already Suffering From Lost Chinese Orders for Corn, Soybeans and Pork

The U.S.-China trade spat is cutting into the flow of soybeans, pork and other commodities from U.S. farms to one of the world’s biggest markets.

Since early April, when China announced tariffs on some U.S. agricultural goods and threatened to target others, Chinese importers have canceled purchases of corn and cut orders for pork while dramatically reducing new soybean purchases, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data. Chinese importers’ new orders of sorghum, a grain used in animal feed, have dwindled while cancellations increased.

The chill in agricultural trade is sending jitters through the U.S. Farm Belt, which for years has dispatched farmers on trade missions to cultivate the Chinese market.

“As the summer persists and if nothing’s been resolved, it will start showing up as a pretty big hole in U.S. exports, ” said Soren Schroder, chief executive of Bunge Ltd., one of the world’s largest processors and traders of soybeans.

• fins4mefins4me Posts: 13,969 AG
    Mister-Jr said:

U.S. Farmers Are Already Suffering From Lost Chinese Orders for Corn, Soybeans and Pork

The U.S.-China trade spat is cutting into the flow of soybeans, pork and other commodities from U.S. farms to one of the world’s biggest markets.

Since early April, when China announced tariffs on some U.S. agricultural goods and threatened to target others, Chinese importers have canceled purchases of corn and cut orders for pork while dramatically reducing new soybean purchases, according to U.S. Department of Agriculture data. Chinese importers’ new orders of sorghum, a grain used in animal feed, have dwindled while cancellations increased.

The chill in agricultural trade is sending jitters through the U.S. Farm Belt, which for years has dispatched farmers on trade missions to cultivate the Chinese market.

“As the summer persists and if nothing’s been resolved, it will start showing up as a pretty big hole in U.S. exports, ” said Soren Schroder, chief executive of Bunge Ltd., one of the world’s largest processors and traders of soybeans.

Strange, ,, I do not feel jittery at all.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    fins4me said:
    Mister-Jr said:

Do you pork and grain to China?
    edited May 5 #170

China Has Stopped Buying U.S. Soybeans, Bunge Says

Source: MSN/Bloomberg

The world’s biggest oilseed processor just confirmed one of the soybean market’s biggest fears: China has essentially stopped buying U.S. supplies amid the brewing trade war. 

“Whatever they’re buying is non-U.S.,” Bunge Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Soren Schroder said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “They’re buying beans in Canada, in Brazil, mostly Brazil, but very deliberately not buying anything from the U.S.” 

In a move that caught many in U.S. agriculture by surprise, China last month announced planned tariffs on American shipments of soybeans. As the market waited for the measure to take effect, there was some hope among traders and shippers alike that relations between the nations could ease in the meantime and the trade flow would continue. But that doesn’t seem to be the case, at least for now, according to Bunge. 

It’s “very clear” that the trade tensions have already stopped China from buying U.S. supplies, Schroder said. “How long that will last, who knows? But so long as there is this big cloud of uncertainty, that’s likely to continue.”

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/china-has-stopped-buying-us-soybeans-bunge-says/ar-AAwEhtY?li=BBnb7Kz 

Interesting then why have the Soybean futures on the CBOT continued to trend higher?

Mister-Jr said:
    fins4me said:
    Mister-Jr said:

Its funny you actually think the Chinese canceling soybean contracts is something new.    Grain price are derived from "world supply and demand" .  The Chinese don't make the market themselves.    Interesting your theory when CBOT corn futures make new highs. It was a nice attempt though, for someone looking to make a partisan debate.  
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 13,969 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    fins4me said:
    Mister-Jr said:

No,, I  do however have about 1100 acres of corn this year. It is under contract to a specific consumer for commercial feed mix ingredients. That said corn, soybeans and almost every other commodity derives their prices and market reactions to the total workd market.  If China chooses not to buy corn or soybeans someone else will.

I do not raise pork,,, just 630 head of beef.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    fins4me said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    fins4me said:
    Mister-Jr said:

No,, I  do however have about 1100 acres of corn this year. It is under contract to a specific consumer for commercial feed mix ingredients. That said corn, soybeans and almost every other commodity derives their prices and market reactions to the total workd market.  If China chooses not to buy corn or soybeans someone else will.

I do not raise pork,,, just 630 head of beef.
    I bet you cost for Soybean Meal has actually gone up.  Another giant hole in the spinsters theories.  
12346»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file