Teens and jobs?

ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,766 Admiral
When I was a teen mamy, many years ago I had several jobs one of which was a bagger/stocker in a grocery store. I almost never see teens working anywhere these days. My local Kroger seems to be staffed almost entirely by older people who probably are retired and are supplementing their income.

I also worked in a full service gas station and pumped gas, fixed flats, changed oil etc and loved that job of all I had in highschool. It seems both those types of jobs are gone so where do kids work after school and weekends. How do they get cars, gas, insurance, and date money?
Deo Vindice

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,611 Admiral
    edited April 19 #2
    I see quite a few teens working at Publix, and at almost every fast food place around.

Like you, I also was a bagger at Publix and remember the day when I was promoted to stock the soft drink aisle.  Oh, the good old days of the 5-9pm weekday shift.
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 442 Deckhand
    Entry jobs are now careers for many.  I see very few teens with jobs out here, their parents keep them involved in sports or clubs and the like.  One kid advertised on Nextdoor for yard work but nobody had work (I assume all the yards are serviced by landscape companies), he is determined though he now offers to fill his truck with junk and haul to the landfill which seems to be much more in demand.  I imagine he will do ok in life.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,535 AG
    Florida Ex-pat is correct. what used to be entry level jobs is now careers for many people. Fewer teens are entering the workforce these days. the workforce participation rate for those below 19 years of age has fallen from 52% in 1996 to 35% today and is expected to be around 30% in the next ten years, Even those 20 to 25 are not entering the workforce like they use to. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,351 Officer
    Many older folks cannot afford to retire and live off SS.  My folks both work part time and are 65&70.  It's partially good for them to remain active tho. But, they made some poor financial decisions, and cannot fully retire yet. 
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,023 Admiral
    In some places, here included, if a kid shows up with a lawn mower and yard tools looking for some work the landscape companies will call the law and demand he have a business license!
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,599 Captain
    In some places, here included, if a kid shows up with a lawn mower and yard tools looking for some work the landscape companies will call the law and demand he have a business license!
    This is true even back in 1969. Almost all of my friends worked construction when we were teens. I don't see that at all these days. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 638 Officer
    Entry jobs are now careers for many.  I see very few teens with jobs out here, their parents keep them involved in sports or clubs and the like.  One kid advertised on Nextdoor for yard work but nobody had work (I assume all the yards are serviced by landscape companies), he is determined though he now offers to fill his truck with junk and haul to the landfill which seems to be much more in demand.  I imagine he will do ok in life.
    I would have to find something for this kid to do.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 962 Officer
    edited April 20 #9
    I see quite a few teens working at Publix, and at almost every fast food place around.
    Same here. My 14 year-old daughter works for my personal company ,doing paper work and excel stuff, so I don't have to. She wants a job at Publix but I would rather her work for me. This summer she will be writing up my reports, so it frees me up to allow us all to travel more. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,708 Admiral
    My son turns 16 in June and he's going right over to Tractor supply and putting in an application.   He needs a summer job, if they don't hire him, i'm sending him to the sod company at the end of the street.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,082 Captain
    Used to around here, most summer jobs was farm labor. Farming has changed, not near as much hand labor on row crop farms and also our schools get out for summer a little later and start back way sooner than they use to. Then you throw in Labor Laws and some big companies won't touch a person under 18.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,708 Admiral
    @Slough
    I agree my boy is 6' and 230 and because he's 15 no one would consider hiring him.   He's got to be 16.   and the job has to be walking distance from the house, he's not going to get a car anytime soon.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,864 Admiral

I know a 17 year-old, good kid, good grades, hard worker, good resume (considering his age).  He has applied for dozens of jobs in Gainesville over the last 6 months.  Got a few call-backs and interviews, but basically nobody wants to hire anyone under 18.

Mostly because 90% of companies are national chains.

Yes, I see lots of kids at Publix that look under 18.

23895.gif
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,715 Admiral
    Pretty sure they will not be able to work, buy a gun, buy a beer or get their own insurance until they are 26.
       Voting though, they are plenty prepared for that at 12 years old.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,975 Admiral
    Student loans are part of the issue here too.
    Almost any average kid can get em and stay in grad school until their late 20s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file