Keaton Beach to Middle Grounds Help

Guys,

Hope this is the right forum to ask this question.

We are renting a house this coming June (last 2 weeks) on Keaton Beach and are all East Coast offshore guys.  We've all heard about the great bottom fishing on the WC and how good the Middle Grounds area is.  We're running 26's with tiwns and carry plenty of fuel.  Question is, how far (for planning ) are we looking at to get to the Middle Ground area out of Keaton Beach?

Not looking for secret bottom numbers, but general numbers where we can start to plan to run to and begin our bottom search for dropping anchor.

I've heard its a rather large area so the Western part of the middle grounds (again, have no idea how far from Keaton Beach) ball park would be great.

Cheers!

Replies

• Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 464 Deckhand
    About 75 miles to my Northern numbers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,189 AG
    edited April 16 #3
    You will be a little far north but as an over nighter it would be OK weather permitting. It is an amazing place. Maybe 100 miles????? Hopefully someone will chime in with more info.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2004/12/01/fishing_florida_middle_ground/

Lat long coordinates are here, you could try google earth for a better estimate. It is a big area though.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Middle_Grounds

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 559 Officer
    28 40.400
    84 23.300
    thatll put you on top of the NW ridge at the north end. Stay on that longitude and work south from there. If snapper is open there will be plenty of boats out there, if not there will be a few commercial guys. Spend the time to get plenty of live bait. If you are spending the night bring a case of chum.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,694 Admiral
    @Top Contender

I've got a question, in water deeper than 30' how effective are chum blocks?   I've never had any success chumming in anything deeper than 12-15'.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    On the right bottom very effective. We chum mangos up to the back of the boat in 100-200’, also how we catch yellowtails in the grounds. I don’t chum if I’m grouper fishing but everything else including Pelagic’s in deep water will come in.
    Right on, i just wasn't sure if you put a weight in the bag or lowered it down somehow. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,110 Captain
    Mangroves will come right up to the surface at night even at depths of 100 ft or more. It helps if you throw chunks or gradually work a chum basket up from the bottom. But just attracting bait in the chum slick will bring them up.

I've had red snapper come up to a chum block in 65' during the day. And cobia have hit baits under floats when chumming. The only downside to chumming is the mess and the fact that it brings in sharks. 

We were out on the patch reefs last year in Marathon at night, about 60-90' and the bag brought us pilchards but no snapper, i was thinking of tying the chum bag to the anchor rhode but thought it might give me problems.   Maybe I'll just put a weight in it and lower that way this time.    I want to target muttons but all we were getting on the bottom were grunts. 
    For mutton’s down there fish a Pinfish or ballyhoo on 30’ of 40# floro, drop to the bottom and come up 5 cranks. Smaller mutton’s in 60-90 and bigger ones seem to be in 180-220’

when I chum I never drop it down, I am doing it to bring the fish up and catch them on lighter tackle. I’ve caught 10# mangos 5’ from the props in the daylight doing it. It’s a fun way to fish, basically sight fishing. It’s not always that good but when it works it’s well worth the effort.
    we had a live pilchard on the bottom that night that was getting zero action, i'll try cranking it up 5 feet off the bottom.   It was nice to sabiki up baits right at the back of the boat.  caught a goggle eye too.   
    Marathon gets fished hard, there are fish to be caught just a lot of pressure. Try running down towards key west some, the yellowtail are bigger down there also. This was off key west in a few hours, minimal effort fishing just goofing off. First trip I ever made to the area and just picked a good looking little piece of bottom.

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,227 Moderator
    Yum ...yellow jack.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,080 Captain
    Nice mess, real nice
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file