Old Town NEXT

easydayseasydays Posts: 33 Greenhorn
Been thinking about getting a paddle type craft. Really not wanting to dump alot of cash onto a Hobie type kayak though. Been looking into Old Towns NEXT canoe. Anyone out there have an experience with it ?

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,249 Moderator
    easydays said:
    Been thinking about getting a paddle type craft. Really not wanting to dump alot of cash onto a Hobie type kayak though. Been looking into Old Towns NEXT canoe. Anyone out there have an experience with it ?
    I don't have experience with it, but just looking at the picture on google, it looks like a sit-in style canoe. If that's what you're going for, no problem. I just wouldn't go offshore in that (one wave and you'll get swamped), but a relaxing river trip might be a different story.  
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,249 Moderator
    If you want something more seaworthy, look at a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 or something comparable. It might be heavier, but this style is quite feature-rich and the sit-on-top style is safer when you throw waves into the mix.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • krashkrash Posts: 558 Officer
    I thought I posted a response yesterday. IDK where it may have gone but probably user error....

I know a guy who has paddled for years in kayaks and canoes.. he picked up 2 of the Next canoes when they first came out and loves them. He was in Tampa but since moved to Pennyslvania and took them with to use in a river up there... 

I test paddled one about a year ago... paddles pretty ok, not to heavy  to portage, tracked well, but if standing is important unless you have good balance and canoe knowledge it won't be easy for ya.. Its a Solo and sitting or kneel style canoe. Some sort of poly blend so its tuff enough but not bulletproof. You do sit fairly low. 
    if you like that style you might also look at the Wenonah Fusion, same/similar size and design. I currently paddle a Wenonah Vagabond, Solo, a bit longer at 14'4" but much lighter at 38 pounds. I paddle the canoe with a double bladded kayak paddle. I've paddled for many may years and been through 3 canoes, 3 SOT kayaks, and a couple SUP's, plus several boats over the years.

I paddle inshore, Biscayne Bay, Flamingo, Choko, and the local canals and lakes mainly fishing. Even though the canoe will carry a lot of stuff I still keep it simple, a crate (same crate I've used for years on kayak/canoe/SUP, with all my tackle, tools, drink's, paddle, stake-out pole or anchor, and 2 rods, many times also carry a push pole depending on depths.

One advantage of a canoe is you can haul a bunch of stuff if say you want to camp. I have a coupe friends that paddle multiday/night camping trips thru the everglades, one has the same canoe as I have the other has a much nicer one that is a full carbon build that only weighs 29 pounds.

Like JC says It would not be a good alternative for offshore fishing, but inshore, inland calm lakes, and canals.. would be great. The canoe does get blown about a bit more than a SOT kayak due to its higher presence above the surface but it floats in less water, mine will float in spit or thick mud.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • easydayseasydays Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the responses. I will use it solely for small lake type waters. I liked the weight of it for transport as well.
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 535 Officer
    Great points Krash. You certainly are knowledgeable about the sport.  
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file