Fly fishing at night.

BigVernBigVern Posts: 119 Deckhand
Hi folks.

Round two!

I plan to flyfish off the beach at night, it will be upto about 10.pm. Would you change fly patterns from the day time, which would primarily be white to a darker pattern which should create a better silhouette?

Thanks in advance.

Vern

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,225 Captain

Light or dark, they'll see the same profile from below. I'm sure someone here will tell you that it matters, but I have tens of thousands of hours of experience and have seen nothing to support that. The color of the water is more important than how much ambient light you have. 
  • JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 119 Deckhand
    I agree with Ol'dirty, the fish won't care what colour your fly is
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 917 Officer
    See if you can get a fly with some glo-in-the-dark fibers.  I find I have better success throwing swim baits with glow colors as opposed to without.  I have glo nylon fish hair for tying jigs - you should be able to get a few flies with it.
  • CPAforSnookCPAforSnook Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    Where are you planning to fish?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,819 Captain
    All I ever hand my anglers for the night scene are plain white flies

- but have to admit that friends of mine have taken fish at night with every color under the sun....  Instead of walking the beach at night (as much fun as that would be) you might want to scout for nearby docks with lights or small bridges with street lights nearby.   The contrast between the dark shadows and the areas that are lit up will be a magnet for fish - and you'll usually get to see the fish you're working....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    All I ever hand my anglers for the night scene are plain white flies

- but have to admit that friends of mine have taken fish at night with every color under the sun....  Instead of walking the beach at night (as much fun as that would be) you might want to scout for nearby docks with lights or small bridges with street lights nearby.   The contrast between the dark shadows and the areas that are lit up will be a magnet for fish - and you'll usually get to see the fish you're working....

Do you have or know of a good tutorial on how to tie these?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,819 Captain
    Just be....  Pretty sure I did a tutorial with step by step pics on this board a year or two ago... If titled it would have been The Night Fly since we've been using it for many years down here in paradise (urban areas of Biscayne Bay...).  That night fishery was almost the first thing I was introduced to down here in 1972... - I came up with the pattern in the late seventies, early eighties.... It's done up on a 1/0 or 2/0 extra strong hook since we're tossing it at small tarpon (up to 40lbs and a bit larger...) most nights.   Some nights we've gone through a dozen of them in one six hour tide.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks, I will search the forum
  • BigVernBigVern Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Hi guys, thanks for the tips. Interesting to read you thoughts and advice. When night fishing for sea trout in the uk, the advice given is create a silhouette and darker flies recommended. When lure fishing off the beach at night I had more hits on a dark mullet lure, rather than a opaque mirrolure. But then I tended to use th lure more out of confidence! Those flies look very good Bob! Will give them a go at the vice when I get back to it! 

At night do do you use slightly larger hooks than normal?

Thanks again and tight lines!

Vern 
    As an add on, eyes on flies at night? Catch more fish or just aesthetics for the angler?!!

Vern
    I will be fishing on Anna Maria Island in August.

Vern

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file