House Boat Live Aboard Rental or Charter as a Mothership

I've been looking around trying to set up a mother ship sort of trip out  in one of the passes in the area. Whether we rent the boat and anchor it up somewhere near where we are fishing for a few days or charter a captain to do so we're open to either.

I know a few guys are renting their house boats in a marina but clearly say that it is a stationary rental. If anyone knows someone who may be interested in doing something like this please let us know!

Tim - 305 798 569 nine

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,830 Captain
    I've heard that the houseboats out of Flamingo got torn up during the last 'cane and are out of commission... Hope you can find an outfit or individual in the 10K.... Down in the Keys the only outfit I know of is Blue Moon (but they're a bit pricey - understatement...).  I'll be watching this thread since some of my anglers might be interested....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Posts: 280 Deckhand
    Thanks capt I left you a voicemail earlier so I guess you can disregard it now!
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    We stayed on one of the "stationary" houseboats for a few days last summer at Port of the Islands.  It wasn't the same as when we rented one out of Flamingo several years ago, but it really wasn't too bad.  Being able to hop in the skiff predawn and come back in for a nap at noon then back out late afternoon beat the hell out of trailering the skiff miles and miles two times a day.  Don't know if I would do it again. Maybe stay at one of the places on Chokoloskee this summer...  Hopefully the houseboats out of Flamingo become operational again in my lifetime, those are memorable trips.

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,077 Admiral
    That's pretty much how the 10 Thousand Islands became famous.
    Back it the day it was the only way to fish it . Everglades and Chok didn't have Hotels , or AC and a Tiki Bar...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 535 Officer

I'm 99% sure Blue Moon is no longer operating in the Glades.  Something about park permitting problems.  From what I have seen on social media, they have moved their operation to Andros Island.  I'm glad to see them gone personally.  It was a great operation when Shafter Johnston owned it.  But the owners that bought it from him were bringing in guides that were a bunch of clowns from where ever they could find them with no saltwater experience.  They were a pain running all over you in the back country when they would bring the mothership up from the Keys. 

Not to mention bringing a bunch of folks into an area that normally there's very few boats at all.... Seems like whenever they were on station it was a great idea to fish somewhere else... 

The area I operate in when the  backcountry calls is roughly 20 miles east to west, and 40 miles north to south (from Lostman's south to Cape Sable) so we were always able to "go somewhere else"  but as already noted - it was a pain...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 535 Officer
    Well said Bob.  They were hitting a little creek that usually held very cooperative tarpon so hard that the fish became neurotic and you couldn't get near them.  I kept wondering what was going on and one day they came running up past me in two boats and were running around like they were trying to rodeo the tarpon in this little creek.  Tarpon have long memories and that spot never has been right since. 
    Many, many good fishing spots in the interior are pretty much "neighborhood places"... If you visit them occasionally and very carefully work one fish -then leave... they'll be good forever.   The moment you hammer one of them - the fish will depart and you simply won't see them there again... maybe not ever.  Fish have so many places to hold and feed that they're pretty sensitive to hazards (and for better or worse -that's us...) and will simply move on.... Places like river mouths and big channels will always hold fish but small creeks, downed trees, and other magnets will only draw and hold fish if they're left as undisturbed as possible.  That's a lesson I had to learn the hard way (and it's tough to avoid a spot you know is holding fish when you have anglers aboard and are struggling....).  Can't remember how many spots I've lost over the years by simply hitting them once too many times... That's a prime reason not to tell other folks about a spot - not under any conditions...   A mother ship that brings five or six guides into the same area and fishes it really hard for a week or so means bad outcomes for the folks that fish those areas daily - wish it weren't so.  Things are just made worse when the guides don't actually know the area....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file