Can Regulated fish be used as bait ?

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,492 Officer
Surely this has been asked before, but having trouble finding it.   Can I use a legal yellowtail snapper or Spanish Mackerel as bait in SE Florida ?  I am assuming an undersized fish would be illegal to use as bait.   

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,629 Captain
    Reef fish regardless of size cannot be used as bait in Federal waters. In State waters legal sized fish can be used as bait, but must remain in whole condition and count against your bag limit.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,981 Admiral
    you cannot use any reef fish as bait.    Which kind of makes no sense because pinfish hang out on reefs but snapper are a no no.  

People probably use them anyway, I almost did last year, had a juvi lane in the bucket with my pins.   i noticed it before hand and let him go but if I had used him, i'd have felt bad.   Cut him loose and promised i'd be back in June this year for him.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,353 Officer
    Dare I ask why anybody would use a yellowtail for bait? 
    you cannot use any reef fish as bait.    Which kind of makes no sense because pinfish hang out on reefs but snapper are a no no.  

People probably use them anyway, I almost did last year, had a juvi lane in the bucket with my pins.   i noticed it before hand and let him go but if I had used him, i'd have felt bad.   Cut him loose and promised i'd be back in June this year for him.  

Certain fish are labelled as reef fish by the state such as Snappers and Groupers, etc.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,981 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    Dare I ask why anybody would use a yellowtail for bait? 
    for mackerel nonetheless.    I like mackerel, but they're pretty stupid.   snapper seems like a terrible bait, you can catch them with a 3/8 wrench and a hook wired on.   No need to waste a perfectly good snapper fillet for that. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,414 Admiral

Certain fish are labelled as reef fish by the state such as Snappers and Groupers, etc.
    certain people are labeled as impaired also.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Very true Art
  • BK922BK922 Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Yellowtail Snapper make great Black Grouper bait...or so I hear. And spanish are great trolled for  giant Kings and also rigged as billfish trolling baits.  Have even caught big Gag's using live spanish on shallow water rockpiles when I couldn't come  by any other bait. 
    <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Reef fish regardless of size cannot be used as bait in Federal waters. In State waters legal sized fish can be used as bait, but must remain in whole condition and count against your bag limit.
    There was some inconsistent comments, but I believe Westwall01 has set me straight on the issue.  Thanks for everyone's replies.

Cheers.  
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,260 Officer
    I don't think Westwall's comment is totally accurate.......for GOM yes........for SAMFC managed areas I think it might not be totally correct as I don't recall a "reef fish as bait rule".

Now you might run afoul of the "must be landed in whole condition" if you use one as cut bait.
    ;)

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,562 Captain
    A 12" Lane snapper was one my favorite baits for BIG grouper.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,414 Admiral
    saltybum said:
    A 12" Lane snapper was one my favorite baits for BIG grouper.
    that or a beeliner.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I don't think Westwall's comment is totally accurate.......for GOM yes........for SAMFC managed areas I think it might not be totally correct as I don't recall a "reef fish as bait rule".

Now you might run afoul of the "must be landed in whole condition" if you use one as cut bait.
    ;)

What I previously stated was and is correct.
    edited April 1 #15

;)

What I previously stated was and is correct.
    Please provide link to or statue number to reference for SAFMC managed area (federal south atlantic)? Is this some new reg, when did it become law. Please note the OP specifically asks about SE FL.

Are you aware tomtates are considered a "managed species" in the south atlantic? Actually there are way over 50 different species I believe that under the "snapper - grouper" managed complex in the south atlantic. If some "blanket regulation" exists as does for the smaller "reef fish" complex of the GOM federal manged waters .......please do us a great service and point us to it. Yes some individual fish in the complex may have a reg not to use as bait (seabass etc.), but unless you can point me to it, I know of no blanket rule like the one that exists for reef fish in the GOM.

Reef fish regardless of size cannot be used as bait in Federal waters.

Please show reference to statue that covers this for federal waters of South Atlantic???

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,492 Officer

;)
    Agree, that is whey Westwall said, " must remain in whole condition."
  • Frank SFrank S Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    It would be nice to be able to use the tails or heads from big kings for shark bait. Obviously legal size, but not "whole", after cleaning for the smoker. I don't see any loopholes on the reg.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 174 Deckhand
    I read the above.  :) 

From my understanding it's certain species.
    Then there's that rule where you can't use
    techniques that catches A type of species
    that's not in season. You're not even allowed
    to practice catch and release. Definitely A beneficial topic.
    GOOD QUESTION ! !
    Q: How do hockey players stay cool?
    A: By sitting next to the fans.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2018/04/30/poor-mans-paella/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file