I Cheated, and paid the price

Well I just could not do it anymore, tired of the same old thang. So I decided to keep it to myself, and do something new and boy did I pay the price. got up at 3am and headed to St Pete, I lived out there in the 90s, so I knew a few spots where I could get some. When I got to the spot I hit it hard, and she was purring like a kitten, two min in she was burning could not take it anymore, then she stopped and would give me no more.  She was smoking so bad I had to get the fire extinguisher ready.  After lifting up the cowling the whole right side of the motor wires melted.  Well on a positive note, used my trolling motor to get around limited out on trout in 4hrs all 16-20"  Cant imagine what it is going to cost me.  Anyone have a extra Merc 200hp layin around, or know a good and decent priced Merc Mechanic in the Leesburg area.  I guess thats what I get for cheating, and not fishing the BB area.

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 756 Officer
    More than half way through I still thought this was a good hooker story.B) 
    Cant help with the black anchor, sorry
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Owen Marine in Eustis did some nice and decently priced work replacing a head gasket on my 115 Mercury. 352-357-2628
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 534 Officer
    Sorry to hear about the motor. Know the feeling - used to own Mercs. The Grey ones are now 20 years old and still running strong.
  • Hunter85Hunter85 Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Unlimited outboards in Ocala is top notch bit of a haul from leesburg but mike can get it right for you their phone number is 3528405477
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,227 Captain
    Ouch, that left a mark. Good dill on the fish.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,924 Admiral
    you don't go to Nobles? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • jhedgjhedg Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Went to Nobles when I first got here to get Carbs on my Yamaha worked on, communication was crap, preformed work that was not authorized, one of their mechanics was a complete d!c& head, and it took me over an hour to pay my bill because they got a new CC system.  Any one of the issues would of been ok and I just would of blown it off, but with all of it?? I have looked at most issues in life as "What does the data tell me" I got to speak to the owner, her statement to me was, "That is just the way mechanics are"  I guess until I find someone I will just use my Whaler( Cohasset II) She old and dirty, :p  but the driest riding boat I have ever had.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Gulf Marine Repair in Homosassa, Skip is the man and very fair. I k ow it’s not in Leesburg but it’s all I got.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,409 Admiral
    Gulf Marine Repair in Homosassa, Skip is the man and very fair. I k ow it’s not in Leesburg but it’s all I got.
    Gulfcoast, yes Skip is the man, been doing business with them since 1989.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 482 Deckhand
    Just take it to Skip at Gulf Coast and be done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,924 Admiral
    jhedg said:
    Went to Nobles when I first got here to get Carbs on my Yamaha worked on, communication was crap, preformed work that was not authorized, one of their mechanics was a complete d!c& head, and it took me over an hour to pay my bill because they got a new CC system.  Any one of the issues would of been ok and I just would of blown it off, but with all of it?? I have looked at most issues in life as "What does the data tell me" I got to speak to the owner, her statement to me was, "That is just the way mechanics are"  I guess until I find someone I will just use my Whaler( Cohasset II) She old and dirty, :p  but the driest riding boat I have ever had.
    Sorry you had a bad experience, i've been going there for years and never had any issues with them at all.   I had been going to GT marine in Clermont, and i had nothing good to say about them.  Pretentious know it alls who tried to rip you off at every single turn.  

Fuel pump for a 90 2 stroke merc...$300 bucks.   Nobles:  We've got rebuild kits for $26 dollars and it takes you 15 minutes.    

90% of my stuff is DIY I only have used them for parts, but they know a heck of a lot more about my motor than I do and they were a million times better to deal with than the one i left.   So i never dealt with the mechanics directly.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 888 Officer
      I’ve heard lake weir marine is very good. No personal experience though. Not too far from Leesburg. 
      I’ve used Millers in Ocala for minor stuff with good experiences. 

• mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,014 Officer
    I lodge my boat at Riverhaven Marina in Homosassa, the mechanic/service has done right for me on various occasions. Speak with Pete
  • TbrummTbrumm Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Gulf coast marine in old homosassa best mercury mechanic in the business and very reasonable rates no questions asked would make the drive from Leesburg. I bought my boat from nobles and would never ever take it back there for service!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file