Spanish Mackarel - Florida Bay?

Any luck yet or is it too early still?
Thinking about giving it a shot this weekend if the weather holds up.

Replies

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 633 Officer
    I caught several last week in the northern 10k islands!
    Jason :USA
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Me and and a friend got nine this past saturday west of sprigger in clean water lots of weed and have to move a lot to find them,other people at the ramp have nothing to show, that was in nine/ten feet, deeper water was greenish with no life other than catfish, we'll try again this saturday weather permitting.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,831 Captain
    Y'all might want to wait until the water is a bit colder.... so far we haven't had cold enough water to move them our way in numbers.... I'm also needing colder waters for the gag grouper to move into Gulfside rivers. It's that time of year, but so far no gags in their usual spots. Temps are dropping this weekend but I have no idea how quickly the water will cool off as the air cools (and with a bad west wind, when the water will clear again in the places we fish north and south of the Shark....).

Post up what you find this weekend - I'll be on the water with bookings then but we won't be that far south...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • fishnfool73fishnfool73 Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    We did really well west of Sprigger 2 weeks ago. Not a lot of mackerel but all big Spainish averaging 3-5 lbs along with some bluefish in the same size range. Find the clean water and current and they were there just not in huge numbers yet.
    Hit the sprigger area again saturday water still dirty all the jacks, blue fish and sharks concentrated in the little clean water area we could find no currrent hot as hell no wind flat as a pool got seven spanish macs in the cooler good size, we'll try again next week.
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,084 Officer
    they are thick out there now. I was out front of shark river and the macs where all over birds/baits=macks tried for gags and nothing yet in the rivers for me. got the cobia good limiting out two days straight. tight lines
  • OrlandoskiffOrlandoskiff Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Great stuff guys. Im hoping to make my first Mackarel trip out in Florida Bay in the next few weeks.
    Is a specific tide that important while out in the gulf?
    From what ive been researching basically find clean water in about 10-12 feet and chum, use live shrimp amd some white bucktail jigs retrieved really fast.
    any other advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Orlando i think the tide is not that important but the current is that's just my opinion i'm not an expert i just fish as much as i can,bait,when they are biting bait is not important i only use dead sardines, macarel have been scarce this year but that might change with this cold weather like lemay say we need clean cold water.
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 179 Deckhand
    We ran into a school of spanish macks and jacks out by the Iron Pipe Channel yesterday morning when current was moving pretty good. Action didn't last long but two of us still managed to catch and release 9 macks up to 5 lb. and 4 jacks up to 9 lb. on sidewinder jigs and crocodile spoons. A lot of fun on 8lb. spinning gear. Hooked a 6' lemon shark in the area too while fishing a live ladyfish but the leader gave out after couple minutes. Finished the day at Frank Key where we caught couple of trout and small reds. Nothing spectacular but it was first time I've been out there in over 7 years and it was a fun day...better than spending the day in office.

:'( Went sunday usual spot west of sprigger bank got one what,s happening with this thread,is dying.

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 536 Officer

New format = Not so good!

• AlexNilesAlexNiles Posts: 76 Greenhorn

Agreed on the new forum layout being awful. They said it would be more mobile friendly and it’s the extreme opposite....

• OrlandoskiffOrlandoskiff Posts: 3 Greenhorn

finally got the boat ready and planning to head out for some Macs on Saturday. Is it too late? Did I miss it?

you still have time it's been slow went sunday got my limit planning on going this weekend again.

• PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Posts: 280 Deckhand
    How long do the mackerel stick around for ? 
    Last  year was good till the end of march,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file