CR newbie report

Finally made it to CR after leaving the frozen tundra. First time ever fishing the area yesterday. We launched at FIT about mid morning to very low water, and still dropping. You guys were right about going slow, I put the motor up and idled out to an oyster bar cut. We picked up 2 sea bass and a number of undersized mangroves. Kept the sea bass for supper. Also caught a whiting - I thought they were strictly beach bums!? :D After lunch we drifted flats south of FIT and hit some outside points on the incoming tide. Were hoping for at least some keeper trout but only came up with 2 undersized trout and a bunch of ladyfish. The surprise of the day was my wife catching a remora on a shrimp under a cork. Very cool looking critter. All in all a fun day.

Replies

• hodag_guyhodag_guy Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Forgot to mention, water temp yesterday was 70.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Thanks 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,291 Moderator
    Thanks Hodag_guy !  Nice report. We have whiting here. Pretty common in a few areas.

Keep um coming !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 888 Officer
      Yes, my uncle before he fell ill fished for sand trout, whiting, and shark almost exclusively. I wish I new some of the holes he use to fish. It was nothing for him to load a cooler full of as many of them as one wanted. 
    And they are decent table fair, they just don’t get that big.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,415 Officer
    Good report. Sounds like a pretty good day on the water. Take away the suction cup and a remora looks amazingly close to a cobia and they usually give a pretty fair account of themselves. I find decent concentrations of whiting and sand trout in a couple of different holes I fish. Those same holes hold a variety of fish depending on the time of year. I put either one out under a baloon as a bait for cobia and sharks. I'm guessing that this next period of colder weather will put the sea trout on the flats, and push the redfish and snook back deeper into the back country. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,818 Captain
    I think the trout are already out on the flats and edges. Only a few stragglers remaining in the creeks from what I’ve seen.
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 514 Officer
    Great report. Thanks
    Good report. Sounds like a pretty good day on the water. Take away the suction cup and a remora looks amazingly close to a cobia and they usually give a pretty fair account of themselves. I find decent concentrations of whiting and sand trout in a couple of different holes I fish. Those same holes hold a variety of fish depending on the time of year. I put either one out under a baloon as a bait for cobia and sharks. I'm guessing that this next period of colder weather will put the sea trout on the flats, and push the redfish and snook back deeper into the back country. 
    When it hit the net at first glance I actually thought it was a little cobia. It gave my wife quite a fight. We're heading out to try Homosassa today (at the bottom of the learning curve once again ) :D  Will post a report tomorrow.
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    you would be surprised how many cobes you can off that beach this time of year. I've never caught a keeper but did manage a few that were within a couple of inches. great report :)
    Went with plan B yesterday and launched in Ozello on the St Martins. Probably should have stuck with plan A. Fished some in the river, caught 1 undersized mangrove. Moved our way out toward the St Martins keys, Drifting flats when we could find enough water. Lots of nice grass beds but most had about a FOW or less on them. So we drifted here and there, fished some holes, then went back in the river for a while, then went back to the outside. Nada, skunked, zero. What seemed strange was we weren't even seeing baitfish or basically any kind of life on those clear water flats. It just didn't "feel" right, like when things are really popping and critters are eating each other. Maybe still too cold? Morning water temps were 64 in the river and 62 on the outside. Afternoon temps were 66 in the river and 64 on the flats.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,227 Captain
    It will come. Crazy late winter. Thanks for the report.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,375 Officer
    great start, it gets better and better
    Got back on the water yesterday, this time out of Homosassa. Again, a brand new area for us. The bait shop guy said stick to the river because it's so cold, fish the ledges next to deep water. Well we did that plus current edges around narrows and points, but all we could come up with was a bunch of mostly undersized mangroves and a few small sheeps. I did have something huge on for a few seconds before getting cut off. Anybody have any tips for patterning trout during this cold snap, out of Homosassa?
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,133 Captain
    edited March 15 #15
    Fish the warm ups if you can. Avoid the days when it's really cold and wait until a warming trend starts. The fish will be more active in the afternoon after the sun has had a chance to warm up the shallow water areas where they are more likely to be feeding. The larger trout will be holding over shallow, yellow looking rocky bottom areas on the outer points and islands. You need to cast a long way to get them since they can see your boat and are easily spooked. Slow sinking lures like nose hooked plastic jerk baits or MiroMinnows are the ticket in water 2' deep or less. Shrimp on a popping cork will work if there aren't too many pinfish.

There are trout in the creeks during cold snaps, but most boats can't get to the deep holes where they hold. The advice that you got about fishing the river is more appropriate for late fall and winter than springtime. There have been a lot of trout moving out into the Gulf this winter during cold snaps. We've been getting them fishing for sheepshead on rocky areas in 7'-9' of water.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,924 Admiral
    Those remoras bleed all over the place if the hook snags em wrong.  They're less fun to be around if you're out there scalloping and a 3'er tries to latch on to you.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Fish the warm ups if you can. Avoid the days when it's really cold and wait until a warming trend starts. The fish will be more active in the afternoon after the sun has had a chance to warm up the shallow water areas where they are more likely to be feeding. The larger trout will be holding over shallow, yellow looking rocky bottom areas on the outer points and islands. You need to cast a long way to get them since they can see your boat and are easily spooked. Slow sinking lures like nose hooked plastic jerk baits or MiroMinnows are the ticket in water 2' deep or less. Shrimp on a popping cork will work if there aren't too many pinfish.

There are trout in the creeks during cold snaps, but most boats can't get to the deep holes where they hold. The advice that you got about fishing the river is more appropriate for late fall and winter than springtime. There have been a lot of trout moving out into the Gulf this winter during cold snaps. We've been getting them fishing for sheepshead on rocky areas in 7'-9' of water.
    Thanks Doc for the tips. Got out yesterday from Homosassa, ran out to just before the gulf, fished a flat adjacent to the channel. We boated 9 trout, kept 4, on corks/shrimp and a mirrodine. After lunch we moved out just into the gulf and drifted a 4-6 ft flat. Several more trout, a couple ladyfish, and my son in law caught and released a 32" snook. His first time fishing salt, he had a blast. For the day we kept 8 trout 15-19+, and a mangrove. Best bait in the afternoon was a red jig/brown paddle tail. Water temps were 62 in the afternoon, 64 in the river.
    Now that's what I'm talking.  That trip was worthy (as any trip is) of it's own report.

Thanks for sharing.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,227 Captain
    Good dill, great report and way to catch em up.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,415 Officer
    Quality fish. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Got out yesterday 3/23 from Homosassa. A bit late in the morning, super low tide. Fished a flat next to the channel where we did well in the past but nothing except a couple ladyfish and a little sea bass. Ran out to the mouth and drifted some flats just into the gulf after lunch. Was hard to stay in deep enough water,as the tide was now at it's lowest. Nothing biting on shrimp/cork or my go to trout jig/paddletail. Moved over to drift a flat that produced well last week. Was hard to recognize the environs as the water was so low, and most of it was still too shallow. We anchored up on the only deep hole that held 4-5 fow, but still nothing except a grinning, beady eyed lizard fish :D So back to drifting the rest of the flat, nothing doing. The tide finally started moving back in so we went back to the deep hole and my wife caught a couple decent trout on her shrimp/cork. For the next half hour we caught 15 trout, 12 were keeper size, 15-17". Nothing big, but a fast bite. During the frenzy I put on a blue mirrodine and that worked as well. They were turned on and were hitting whatever was in front of them. The action quit just about as fast as it started, so we headed home. Kept 4 for the table. Water temp was 64 on the outside in the afternoon.
    Good deal. Now you have an area that produces on an incoming tide to fish next time.  This would make a great "new" post.  ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file