Cast nets on kayak

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,220 Moderator

Inspired by this thread:

I am curious to know who here uses a cast net on the kayak for catching bait (pilchards). I'm curious what a good size is because I'd like to learn how to use one. Although, to be honest, it might be challenging for me since I use a Revo13 which is a bit on the skinny/tippy side of the Hobie lineup.

Hobie Kayak angler for life!

• YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 226 Deckhand
    edited February 17 #2

Hey Chris... I've been learning in my backyard using techniques that Steve @kayakerinkeywest uses. He's got a playlist on his YouTube channel for cast nets that helped me out a lot. He explains how to throw from a kayak standing or sitting and all the nets he's got and why.

Being able to stand is pretty important. I'm learning to throw my 7' from my outback but I imagine on a revo you would have to stick with a smaller 4' net you can throw from the seated position. He's got videos on all this stuff...

• AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 118 Deckhand
    I can toss a 7ft while standing on a cuda 14.  Its interesting.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,195 Admiral
    I bring a cheap 6 footer most of the time. Winter Is a shrimp and jig time. I just have a flow-thru for storage. I find the bait, greenbacks or pins, get out toss and dump the bait on my seat area. Clean up the seat and go.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • skankin pickleskankin pickle Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    i have a 6' and 5' that i throw off my stealth 12. both do the trick well. i throw the 6' mostly since it's a little heavier and sinks quicker.
    branding | corporate id | website design |
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,220 Moderator
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'm going to buy a 5 or 6 footer to start practicing.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 531 Officer
    I'm learning from the same video's that yaknpomp  is learning from. Steve has it down to a science and of all the video's I've seen his looks like the easiest off the kayak. Of course it's gonna be easier for me doing it off the PA14.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file