New Flamingo Reports

Can't belive that there were over a hundred boats down at Flamingo, Fri, sat &Sun. Both houseboats gone from the Marina and yet no fishing reports. Whats going on? We had a great day on the water on Fri. Couldn*t have had a nicer day. The fishing was on the slow side. Trout, snapper, lady fish, shark and tons of catfish. Now, lets hear something. Capt. George the voice of experience

• PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Posts: 278 Deckhand

I didn't think that they were still renting out house boats are they back and available?

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,727 Captain

You'd have to contact the marina store to find out since that's where the concession is run from... At present the marina store still isn't open - but I am seeing rental 'yaks and canoes - so that part of the operation is up and running. Don't have a clue about the houseboats but if they're not at the dock they may be getting sorted out after last fall's hurricane. Houseboats don't do well in high winds.... If you call the Visitor's Center (305) 242-7700, they may be able to provide a current number for the folks that run that concession. Good luck, and post up what you learn - there will be anglers paying attention since this is the time of year for houseboats in the backcountry...

We were there as well on Friday but had a frustrating day, fly-fishing tarpon... No bites, no joy - but we did find good numbers of fish in Whitewater and also out along the coast at Ponce... Only saw one skiff hooked up all day long (and there were quite a few working big fish with flies...). Two days later (Sunday) I was over on the 10K side of things and it was slow for us there as well (but that was probably the doofus poling the boat - me....). My next outings are scheduled for the night scene in Biscayne - hopefully the wind will lay down by then....

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • BRSGATORBRSGATOR Posts: 13 Greenhorn

I was there on Sunday.

Caught a limit of nice trout and reds pitching live bait in creek mouths on the incoming tide. Ran the buoys looking for triple tail. Found one keeper but he wouldn't bite. Struck out looking for Mr. Snook in Whitewater Bay.

• hhfishermanhhfisherman Posts: 83 Greenhorn

... and yet no fishing reports. Whats going on?

It probably has something to do with the new format. I noticed the number of fishing reports drop dramatically.

• TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 421 Deckhand
    edited February 22 #6
    It was crowded on Saturday.  9 keeper trout with one a fat 23", maybe another half dozen small trout.  Saw some nice reds and a tarpon but couldn't catch them.  Caught 1 small snook and turned a couple of ladyfish into two 5-6ft lemon sharks. 
  • SeapromptSeaprompt Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I talked to the Marina a month or so ago...houseboats are damaged beyond repair, so it will probably take 4 or 5 years to replace them like last time. Went last Friday on the inside, saw a lot of tarpon but no bites. Caught a few snook and trout, ran to the way back and got a bass and cichlid...very slow.
  • NickNutNickNut Posts: 228 Deckhand
    Are the camp grounds at flamingo open yet, or is it still relegated to the Long Pine Key campground? Anyone know if the chickees are available?
  • PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Posts: 278 Deckhand
    I heard that there is someone renting houseboats again does anyone have contact information for them? 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file