Quantum Cabo Pinion Bearing Problem

I have a 2nd generation Quantum Cabo (CSP40PTSD) which slowly got hard to crank. I broke the reel down all the way to the pinion bearing and I can't take it apart any further. Is this bearing pressed into the housing of the reel? I also have a gen 1 Cabo and have absolutely no problems taking the reel completely apart to service it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in removing the pinion bearing on a generation 2 Cabo? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Max

Replies

• rileypilotrileypilot SE Florida, USPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    i dont know about that but have you made sure that all of the bearings are loosely spinning?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,860 Captain
    Pinion bearings on many reels can be a PITA if allowed to seize up.  My normal routine is to work a flat bladed screwdriver onto the face of the pinion itself and with some kind of fulcrum press out pinion and bearing together (after making sure you've removed any bearing retainer that might be present.  You have to be really careful not to mess up the teeth of the pinion or anything else when levering the bottom face of that pinion gear... Forgot to mention I only try to work out the pinion with force after removing the spool shaft....  If you have a photo or two of your problem I might have a bit more specific advice.... 

Just re-read your initial post.... have you managed to remove the pinion gear already - leaving only the bearing in place?  If so then my advice isn't worth much.  Let me know and once again a pic or two will help...

Aren't reels fun to work on?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file