Steinhatchee Launch Location?

Moderate lurker here first time posting.

Anyone have advice on where to launch from in Steinhatchee for inshore fishing from kayaks?  My wife and I have been fishing for less than a year and this will be our first visit to the area.  Which direction to head would be much appreciated as well.  We can paddle a pretty good distance but the high tide will be fairly early so I was hoping for spots closer to the launch to fish and we will explore after the tide peaks.   Thank you in advance!

Is this the correct subforum for this question?

• ASaltWeaponASaltWeapon Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I would drive down to rocky creek and fish around the mouth of it once you get to the gulf.
    the brave may not live forever, but the cowards never live at all!
  • TCow86TCow86 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Rocky Creek or a little further south at Cow Creek. Its about 3/4 of a mile paddle out of Cow Creek and then your right in pepperfish. The cut created at the mouth of Cow Creek can be covered in flounder this time of year also. Drag some mud minnows around.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,092 Moderator
    Dallus creek in Tide swamp mgmt. area or the other park farther north by Keaton. If you go past rocky creek there is a bridge you can launch at also. 

Welcome aboard !! B)
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,790 Captain
    edited February 25 #5
    Depending on what time of year you could either launch at Keaton proper and be on good grass flats, or Hagen's Cove.  Hagen's is sandier but you could paddle to good quality grass flats without going too far.  Also be aware that on a strong low tide at Hagen's there's zero water so you might have to drag your kayak across a sand flat a good 100 yards to get back to the parking lot.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,609 Captain
    Cow creek at low tide often means you need to get out and drag your kayak, it is a good place to fish but can get tough on real low tides, rocky creek has excellent fishing and plenty of good areas where you can get away from others.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,722 Captain

Pine Log landing is an easy paddle to the gulf also

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file