Rod Builders/Reel Aficionados 'Welcome'

Welcome Everybody!! Lets make this forum a community where rod builders, reel tinkerers and anyone in between can help each other out, share your builds, ask questions, and ultimately help each other experience another aspect of the sport we're all obsessed with.

Lets kick this thing off right, Post up and introduce yourself, how long you've been building/repairing, what got you started, maybe what type of builds you enjoy etc...

I'll start:

A buddy of mine gave me a kit 12 years ago, at first I wanted nothing to do with it 'I'd rather be fishing than spend my time building a rod'..well once I built it I was hooked. The ability to choose from 10x the options available in the stores and build rods to perform exactly how I wanted them to sealed the deal for me. I built rods to pay the bills while at the University of Florida, went to work for a supplier out of college, and opened a component supply business not too long ago.

Feel free to fire away with any questions and don't be intimidated by the thought of building your own rod(s) and doing your own repairs, there is really nothing to it. I'm glad to help in anyway I can.
We are Glad to Help!!
Email_Banner.jpg
Build A Better Rod!

Replies

• des1802des1802 Posts: 115 Officer
    Hi Capt Kevin,
    I have been building for about a year now. I love it! I am a member of Rodcrafters of Central Florida. We are a group of rod builders who meet The second Tuesday every month at Kels Rod and Reel in Casselberry. We just had our first meeting of the year last tuesday. Our focus this year is to give some young anglers the opportunity to build a Rod. We will be visiting High Schools in the Central Florida Area This year, hopefully to spark an interest in rod building. If anyone is interested in learning how to build a rod let me know. We welcome anyone interested.
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 717 Officer
    That's Awesome Des, please let me know how we can help in anyway.
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    I built my first kit 4 years ago after knee surgery and have been wrapped up (pun intended) ever since. I've to finish a rod and not have a plan for my next already in my head.
  • floating docfloating doc Posts: 50 Deckhand
    I built my first rod in 1981. I went on to build about 200 or so over the next several years. At that time I was a trainer working with Standardbred race horses and a lot of the trainers and drivers would buy rods wrapped in their stable colors.

In 1987 I left the track to start college, and tried to keep selling rods but I soon learned that college students didn't have the disposable income (not where I was going anyhow) to buy rods. I probably built (or rebuilt) a total of 300 or so, but haven't built a rod now in years. I'm going to see if I can get going again soon. I don't know if I'm going to be able to sell anything but I have a couple of my own that are half done.
  • Capt. Kevin BrotzCapt. Kevin Brotz Posts: 717 Officer
    Glad to hear you are getting back in the saddle, sort of speak. :beer Let us know if we can help in anyway.
    We are Glad to Help!!
    Email_Banner.jpg
    Build A Better Rod!
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 472 Officer
    I started building in 1993. I mainly build for myself although I have built for others. I just don't have the set up to do it for others and make it worthwhile. There is so little money in rodbuilding that if you are not set up right you don't make that much. Its time consuming and I would rather spend my time on the water. But I do like to build a custom rod now and again. Also, once I got a boat I backed away from it because all my pretty work would get scratched or banged around on a boat and so I started going with factory built rods because I couldn't build them as cheap as they sold them.
    The St croix Avid series blanks has brought me back to the table though...A custom Avid is so close to a Fenwick Fenglass but lighter, stiffer, stronger, and smaller diameter...I love the Avid series so I am building 2.
  • ArmbreakerArmbreaker Posts: 76 Deckhand
    AlwaysAbu wrote: »
    I started building in 1993. I mainly build for myself although I have built for others. I just don't have the set up to do it for others and make it worthwhile. There is so little money in rodbuilding that if you are not set up right you don't make that much. Its time consuming and I would rather spend my time on the water. But I do like to build a custom rod now and again. Also, once I got a boat I backed away from it because all my pretty work would get scratched or banged around on a boat and so I started going with factory built rods because I couldn't build them as cheap as they sold them.
    The St croix Avid series blanks has brought me back to the table though...A custom Avid is so close to a Fenwick Fenglass but lighter, stiffer, stronger, and smaller diameter...I love the Avid series so I am building 2.
    Abu,I have been rodsmithing for folks worldwide now for over 27 years "already" and after several years quite a few folks send them in for a simple inexpensive re-glassing and they all look fresh off the rack afterwards...I also have a wonderful arsenal of my own personal rods as well,still looking as good as new,and you knowa big reason why? Rod Socks for one,better grips,better components,better finishes,ect..all of this certainly will add to your fishing rods longevity...I for one cant fish with those plain rods anymore..once you go custom it's really hard to go back to those factory builds..to many rods snapped,,too many ceramic inserts pooping out or cracking,,,too many guide feet popping out of single wrapped thread wraps,cheap seats that dont last,,and the list goes on..folks actually save alot of money long term when they go custom,,mainly because they last them for years and years without a single issue and the big bonus is that they hold a reel nice resale value when the time comes to sell em off,which alot of my captains do each and every year
    Good luck on your builds and enjoy!
  • ArmbreakerArmbreaker Posts: 76 Deckhand
    AlwaysAbu wrote: »
    Abu,I have been rodsmithing for folks worldwide now for over 27 years "already" and after several years quite a few folks send them in for a simple inexpensive re-glassing and they all look fresh off the rack afterwards...I also have a wonderful arsenal of my own personal rods as well,still looking as good as new,and you knowa big reason why? Rod Socks for one,better grips,better components,better finishes,ect..all of this certainly will add to your fishing rods longevity...I for one cant fish with those plain rods anymore..once you go custom it's really hard to go back to those factory builds..to many rods snapped,,too many ceramic inserts pooping out or cracking,,,too many guide feet popping out of single wrapped thread wraps,cheap seats that dont last,,and the list goes on..folks actually save alot of money long term when they go custom,,mainly because they last them for years and years without a single issue and the big bonus is that they hold a reel nice resale value when the time comes to sell em off,which alot of my captains do each and every year
    Good luck on your builds and enjoy!
  • Juma35Juma35 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I built one rod about 20 years ago and haven't touched another one since. However, I would like to get into this thing for reel this time. Need supplies and techniques, any recommendations from you guys and gals?
  • Treeman_miTreeman_mi Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I am just starting to look into building a rod for myself. I have thought about it for a while and ready to make the jump. I live in Michigan and spend most of my summer months( all 3 of them) fishing bass up here. But I fish out of Big Pine several times a year and thinking I'd like to start out my hobby on a rod for fishing snapper and other reef species. I'm looking for any advise on where to start, materials and supplies. I will be down in the Keys the last week of March - first week of April is there anyone down there would be interested in helping me get started with building process?
    Tree
    Northern Michigan and Big Pine
  • swampdonkeyswampdonkey Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    ive dabbled for years fixing storebought stuff. started out with a thread bobbin from fly building twenty years ago. i only build for my wife, myself and a few VERY good friends. i only build the best components i can buy, cause i don't do this for the money. i never sell rods...thats for the guys doing it for a living. it's for the rod...the catching of that first fish on a custom rod. you know it's yours...

pete
  • Kelly-BullbayrodsKelly-Bullbayrods Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    My name is Kelly Phillips,2011 IFA kyak tour champion. I founded Bull Bay Rods about two years ago. We use a modeled for-grip for superior sensitivity. We have let fishing guides test our rods who have used G-LOOMAS an now won't touch them. Our rods are sensitive and have serious back bone! While only weighing in at 6.5oz. We make tarpon "orca" rods which modeled foam finger grips and Rods varying from 7'6 to 8 footers. We can customized your rod in any way you can think! The molded for grips can be customized with color, logos or our standard POWA shell. Name engraving or company logos wraps ect. Check us out at www.Bullbayrods.com
  • triumphricktriumphrick Posts: 534 Officer
    Greetings Capt.....hopefully this isn't a shameless plug for some business!! But here goes...

Greetings, folks! My name is Rick Thompson and I am the owner of Ricks Reel Service. I work out of Hernando County and offer a full range of fishing reel services.

I have been repairing my own gear for about forty years, and last year started my business here near Spring Hill.

I am very available to answer any questions folks may have concerning their reels. There isn't much that I haven't seen over the years.

I offer full frame and drag upgrades as well as just basic cleanings. All of my cleanings include drag and bearing service. I also use CorrosionX as a treatment for your reels.

I have been working for Daves Parts and Service for a while to help them catch up a bit; and got my hands on a lot of reels that I usually would not get an opportunity to see!

I found that as an opportunity to expand my business and get my name out there.

If anyone has any questions or if you get yourself into the middle of something and need some help, please email me...as I am not always on here daily...

Or come to my site at: http://www.ricksreelservice.com/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    KeyWest 268 BF 150's
    "Lisa Anne"

"RICK'S REEL SERVICE, IT'S MORE THAN REPAIRS"

http://RICKSREELSERVICE.COM
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,266 Officer
    I watched my dad wrap a few in the early 80's. I didn't build my first till about 7 yrs ago, and have done half a dozen or so since. No pro and nothing fancy, but I find it very relaxing and rewarding. Also very disturbing when you break one, but nothing beats catching fish on a rod you built. My last was an acid wrap and looking to do a few more in the near future.
  • PhlypperPhlypper Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    I started wrapping rods at age 11, back in 1986, when I cracked a couple of eyes on my father's rod. When the old salt, Glen Pace, behind the counter heard that, with my mom's blessing, he taught me how to strip and replace guides on the lathe in his shop.

I have hand wrapped several rods, mainly as special presents for special people, then Glen would finish and epoxy the rod for me.

Fast forward nearly 20 years, when one of those first rods I made broke, I mentioned to my wife how this was a rod I made, and this past birthday she got for me, out of the blue, a Pacific Bay wrapper/drier set. I have been relearning by rebuilding some of the store bought rods I have, but am looking forward to a complete custom rod for me. The boys at Cape Tool and Tackle have been very helpful with tips, advice and material. However, I would like to find a place that has stocks of blanks for me to hold and touch.

Any advice on where I can hold/touch blanks for a light custom rod for me?
  • XafXaf Posts: 947 Officer
    I started repairing my own rods and reels about 20 years ago. Mainly because I wanted to learn how to do it so I could make emergency repairs if necessary. This gradually led into building my own rods and upgrading my reels. I enjoy working on my own equipment then using it while on the water. I like to use top of the line blanks and components which has led to an expensive hobby. I now have a garage full of rods and more reels then I could possibly use. While I would like to build more rods I am somewhat frustrated because I can't justify building them. I don't want to start a business but won't mind building a few quality rods for other people now and then. The problem I see is that most people are not willing to pay the cost of a quality rod when they compare them with the cost of rods in the "big box" stores.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 141 Officer
    I have been building rods for some 4 years now, it is great an excellent stress relieve valve, but you can only built so many rod for your self and give away some for your friends,
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,198 Captain
    I got news paper article from my working on fishing tackle from the sixty's, donated to fishing club to be repaired and passed along to kids protection and service organizations. It was a great way to get started, except I didn't have but about four hand tools a bench grinder and and 80lbs anvil. The anvil really wasn't much help. The only instruction on repair I found was the newsprint owners manual from an old Penn senator 4/0. Hay there was a wealth of information in those few pages. Come to think of it, in 1980 while leafing thru one I happened upon a small statement that lead to a phone call to penn that, Oh heck story for another day......
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,148 Officer
    I started re-wrapping a fly rod about 1950 because I didn't like the color and have built a few rods over the years. If a reel needs help I'll repair that too. I used to repair cameras so reels are a piece of cake for me. In the past 14 years I've taken up river bass fishing in a kayak and need really sensitive rods and I've built several trying for the perfect one.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,198 Captain

The perfect one always the next one, but I suspect you already know that .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file