Snake ID

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,068 AG

What kind of snake is this. Police shot it in an apartment parking lot where one of my employees live.

Mini Mart Magnate

Replies

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,249 Admiral

Cotton mouth warsaw

• MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,359 Officer

Boa or Python

My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,318 Admiral

It's a Monty Python. The Flying Circus must be in town.

Captain Todd Approves

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 1,747 Captain
    edited February 14 #5

I think it’s a red tailed boa, but can’t see the tail. I’m suprised they had to shoot it. Could have just picked it up

You should have been here yesterday

Rocky Balboa?

Not only is it ridiculous they shot it, but they didn't shoot it in the head. Amatuers.

Isn't Gainesville a little cold for an invasive boa or python?

Captain Todd Approves

• Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,701 Captain

Red Belly Sqeezer?

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,693 AG

Police shot it? Ding dongs....

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg

@mplspug said:
    Rocky Balboa?

Not only is it ridiculous they shot it, but they didn't shoot it in the head. Amatuers.

Isn't Gainesville a little cold for an invasive boa or python?

It probably escaped from its aquarium very recently, probably from the same complex

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,778 Admiral

It is a Boa Constrictor, not a Python.

23895.gif

@Fish Haid said:
    It is a Boa Constrictor, not a Python.

I’ve owned both as pets and it looks like a boa to me

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 6,786 Admiral

That's a speckled Yeti Adder. It's also been called a toothy fleshlight during the colder months.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,271 Officer

Its a common or “red tail” boa. Can tell by the design of the diamonds. We pulled a big one out of someone’s yard in Ocala a few years ago. Probably an escaped pet.

Gainesville does have a lot of exotics running around for the climate. I think they find warmer spots indoors or around powered machinery to shelter.

Once in Ocala I found a Cuban treefrog buired under the gravel in an indoor aquarium during a cold spell. Leads me to think they survive frosts by burrowing underwater.

• Bruce SBruce S Posts: 399 Deckhand

some kind of black snake if a cop shot it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BibBib Posts: 2,335 Captain

@Bruce S said:
    some kind of black snake if a cop shot it

i'll bet a black cop. just like with dogs, they have no control. shoot everything. shame about the snake.

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 7,976 Admiral

Here we go...

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,298 Captain

@cadman said:
    What kind of snake is this.[]

Perforated Boa

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,068 AG

Don't know why they shot it, but Boa is correct. I didn't know what it was at first since it didn't look like any native snake until someone else who owns boas pointed out it was someones pet that had gotten lose or turned lose.

My guess is the cop didn't know what it was either and just shot it. I was told he shot the tail off in his attempt to kill it.

Mini Mart Magnate

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,246 Admiral

@Soda Popinski said: It's also been called a toothy fleshlight during the colder months.

:UPTWINKLES:

Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 6,786 Admiral

@cadman said:
    Don't know why they shot it, but Boa is correct. I didn't know what it was at first since it didn't look like any native snake until someone else who owns boas pointed out it was someones pet that had gotten lose or turned lose.

My guess is the cop didn't know what it was either and just shot it. I was told he shot the tail off in his attempt to kill it.

Does he not understand which end of a snake to shoot when you want to kill it?

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,298 Captain

@mindyabiness said:

@cadman said:
    What kind of snake is this.[]

Perforated Boa

Ventilated Boa?

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
    edited February 15 #22

I bet it was trying to bite the tar out of them if they made an attempt to move it first. The red tail I moved from Ocala was continuously striking like a rattlesnake. It was way more aggressive than any wild snake I’ve ever seen.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,661 Captain

A big towel will whip most any snake...except a Rino Gaboon..I don't even want to be in the same County as one of them...

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,215 Captain
    edited February 15 #24

That's a mean looking snake. Bitis gabonica rhinoceros It's got the horns on it's nose.

@Turner River Terror said:
    A big towel will whip most any snake...except a Rino Gaboon..I don't even want to be in the same County as one of them...

That’s how we had to tame the boa. We dropped a sheet on her head and my buddy was able to grab her by the neck then. But he’s also a trained snake handler who used to milk rattlers at Silver Springs in the old snake show. After she got held, she calmed down. I wouln’t expect the average person or even a LEO to know or care to know how to move one alive.

@Soda Popinski said:
    Does he not understand which end of a snake to shoot when you want to kill it?

Maybe he was shooting it to subdue it. You know how the #BLM movement reacts when a cop shoots to kill.

Boa Lives Matter

Captain Todd Approves

Or maybe he thought shooting it in the head would be inhumane.

Captain Todd Approves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file