2018 Gobbling Activity Reports

PinmanPinman Posts: 1,110 Officer

Thought I would start a thread to help those of us who pursue this psychotic obsession. Come on March 3! :p

Friday morning 2/9, Clear, Wind Calm, low 70's, SE Fla Public Quota area. Had one Gobbling good but couldn't tell if he was still on the roost or in the swamp bottom. Not too fired up as he didn't answer my Owl call every time. Going back tomorrow AM.

Replies

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,426 Officer

Saw and heard some in the same WMA last week.

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 14 Greenhorn

Scouted local wma central northeast nothing yet. Our season doesn't start till March 17 though.

Everybody gets one

• Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 160 Deckhand

NE Fl 2 strutting toms on hens in open pasture as we spec fished.

• shempshemp Posts: 435 Deckhand

Nothing 2-10 pm or 2-11 am for me. Blustery, sticky, warm-ish. Central FL WMA. Found a couple good lanes w/ trax so will have to go back for a listen after youth weekend

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,795 AG

Haven't bee out to listen yet (private land) and I haven't heard any walking to the truck to go to work in the mornings like I usually do. It won't be long though and I'm ready!

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 6,786 Admiral

Hotel booked for 3/16 driving up that morning. Going to clear the property and scout a little. Hopefully we can break em up that afternoon as they go to roost so they'll have to gobble in the morning. We get two mornings on the youth hunt. Gotta make every second count.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 Posts: 4,083 Captain

Last 3 weekend out in south zone have not heard a bird yet

living life as i like
  • spanglerspangler Posts: 52 Greenhorn

Going for a listen this coming friday from dark am till dark pm, in central region. Will report back. Haven't heard anything in the SW region, was out from dark to sunrise this past sunday.

• ChonggChongg Posts: 206 Deckhand

They better not be gobbling yet in NE Fl, it's too **** early! and thanks to this, I've got the fever early too.

I also saw turkeys twice driving along I-4 on Tuesday. One was a lone gobbler. Another was at least one gobbler with 3 other birds, couldn't ID sex. Looks like they're prowling.

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,426 Officer

On fire in Lorida!

• cypresscypress Posts: 399 Deckhand

@Soda Popinski said:
    Hotel booked for 3/16 driving up that morning. Going to clear the property and scout a little. Hopefully we can break em up that afternoon as they go to roost so they'll have to gobble in the morning. We get two mornings on the youth hunt. Gotta make every second count.

No need to booger them up for no reason.

• no slackno slack Posts: 240 Deckhand

My son sent me a video of a big gobbler in the Publix parking lot in Nocatee pecking cars as he saw his reflection. He was Spitting and strutting.

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,153 Officer

Already going pretty hard in Brooksville, and have been for a while.......

@cypress said:

@Soda Popinski said:

No need to booger them up for no reason.

I figured if they got broken up they'd have to gobble to get together the next morning. In any event we'll know where they're roosting.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,795 AG

They will gobble regardless, if they are ready to.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

^that's possible. Also possible they fly a mile away.

We saw 12 of them coming off a field last year around 5 in the afternoon. Last year we didn't get up there until Saturday, and had to leave Sunday. This year going up Friday morning so we've got some time that afternoon to find out if they're roosting in the same trees. Gonna set up the decoy right at that treeline off the field in the afternoon if we don't get one in the morning. It's just one trip a year, and only for a couple days but it's fun to get em talking. We had a couple jakes come in last year and my son passed on em. He wanted a nice big beard not chin stubble.

• PinmanPinman Posts: 1,110 Officer
    edited February 16 #20

Had one gobbling up until about 8:00. Perfect weather, calm, clear and about 63 degrees. SE Florida

Good stuff. Boy does that make me excited to get out there.

• spanglerspangler Posts: 52 Greenhorn

I scouted early yesterday at a WMA that I have a limited entry quota for (central west). Found a place to sit at 6am. Until 7, all I heard was a few limpkins screamin. At 7 sharp, heard just a few clucks from the tree tops and that was it. I may have heard a lone gobble off in the distance but can't be certain. :(

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 883 Officer

Birds were gobbling good this morning in the south zone! Taking my nephew out next weekend for the youth hunt, hopefully they stay where I saw them! Good luck to all the youth hunters next week.

• DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,821 Captain

Didn't hear the first gobble on three mornings in Madison county this past weekend. There was a lot of fog each day which may have dampened things a little but didn't seem much going on up north yet.

• shempshemp Posts: 435 Deckhand

Have posted this in years past, but if it foggy and the air is very thick, sometimes they can gobble and if you're not within gun range you won't hear it...I've watched them gobble in such conditions and strained to maybe hear a bit of noise. They may flydown later in the day too or just shut down some. I hunted 3 days straight on a special opp back in the early 2000s. Days 1 and 2 saw a couple but did not hear a peep. It was pushing 90 by 10 am those days. Next day was 55 at dawn and crisp. Same area had 3 going off from 45 minutes before dawn until about 10 am.

Hoping (need to) to make it out to scout some in early March. Otherwise I'll be sitting in the hammock 75 yards from the trail with all the tracks and hope for the best

• joekat46joekat46 Posts: 1,736 Captain
    edited February 19 #26

Scouted this morning in the central FL area where we have several game cameras set up. First light - several natural owls sounding off - nothing. A crow joined in and they set off gobbling until what was probably fly down time. After they hit the ground very little talking. I bumped two different jakes and a few hens while changing out the SD cards. Game cameras showed red headed birds every day (an abundance of jakes) and plenty of hens. No coyotes showed up this round. I didn't hear any yipping either and was again wearing the Walker Game Ears all morning so I didn't miss much.
    Bull doesn't mind sharing his spot :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file