Made it out on Sunday 2/11/18...Little rough, but doable. Just an OK Day

We had a good plan. Figured with the water warming up, it should be nuts so we got a good crew together and planned on going on Sunday. Weather forecast was good until Saturday morning when it went from 10 out of the southeast to 10-15 out of the southeast with 2-3's. But it was supposed to lay down in the afternoon so we gave it a shot. Pretty much any day but Sunday was the better weather day to go but that was the day I could go...

Got bait at the fort desoto gulf pier. Some really nice size white baits. Tide was cranking pretty hard but we managed to get enough to go. Also had some frozen white bait we saved from earlier this winter.

Forecast was right on. Wind was probably 15 out of the southeast. There were some decent waves but they were pretty much rollers without a lot of slop and the angle was good so we cruised around 27 mph and it wasn't bad.

Got to our destination and that was when the wind and waves made it interesting. Tough getting a good anchor bearing when we are swinging 20-40 degrees.... First spot we had done well with some big fire trucks and had some good shows but nothing was chewing. Grunts and other fish we didn't want was all we were getting.

2nd spot we anchored up on and great shows again. Think we got a few throwback ARS but nothing for the box. 3rd spot, again, great shows.... started chumming. More ARS but we finally got some food. 4 or 5 nice mangos in the box. Got another mutton at this spot, that is three trips in a row, but it was a smaller one. Keeper but smaller than I wanted to keep so threw it back.

Seemed like they wanted the live bait, or you just couldn't feel them on the dead bait because of the waves but ones we did bring to the surface were clearly eating our chum because they were expelling it so it was working.

Go to the last spot and again the anchoring was difficult. I somehow bent my anchor pulling it from the previous spot but it did stick. Got a few more nice mangos.

I think we ended up with 8 nice mangos and a big lane.

I got railed a couple times by gags on light tackle.

Great shows but I am guessing the cold water was still making it tough in addition to the waves and the tide not always cooperating.

Laid down pretty good for the ride in. Cruised in at 30+ mph.

Water temp was 63 on the surface where we were. We were roughly 30 miles out in 95-100' of water. Tide was running south at first which made it tough with a south wind, then settled for a bit and was going north but it didn't seem for long, then it was back to the south. Great shows but couldn't get them to chew like we are used to. Still got a few dinners but hopefully this warm weather will get them going for next time.

Tight Lines. sorry, didn't take any pictures. Mangos were 16-20", lane was probably 16".

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,790 Captain

Also...ended up using 1/2 oz jig heads which I rarely use but they seemed to work better to get the bait down with the waves and tide. Usually try and use no more than 3/8 but the 1/2 was working best on Sunday. Long 20 lb flouro leaders.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 6,720 Admiral

You ain't lying about the wind. It was whitecapping when we left Sunday morning in the bay. Light chop my ***.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,653 Captain

Nice report!
    A plan well executed.

God, save the South!
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,790 Captain

@Soda Popinski said:
    You ain't lying about the wind. It was whitecapping when we left Sunday morning in the bay. Light chop my ***.

It really wasn't bad offshore. Rollers but the angle was no big deal and no whitecaps. Overall it was 2-3 with the occasional 4+ mixed in but there wasn't much slop between them.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 6,720 Admiral

@CaptainBly said:

@Soda Popinski said:

It really wasn't bad offshore. Rollers but the angle was no big deal and no whitecaps. Overall it was 2-3 with the occasional 4+ mixed in but there wasn't much slop between them.

The Bay was nasty. I've seen it worse, but a couple times my son almost fell out of the boat.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • surfmansurfman Posts: 3,496 Captain

B)

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,088 Captain

Good report

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,858 Moderator

If nothing else, good for you to get out there. I've heard pretty much the same from the charter guys at the dock. Most are shrimpin' for hogs and by catch in the 50s to 60s. This weekend looks good, gonna try and get a trip in. Great report.

• Mako224Mako224 Posts: 414 Deckhand
    edited February 14 #10

Very nice to get out in the not so pristine conditions. Little excited to hear about the Mutton. I have caught some huge Yellow Tails so I would think the Mutton's would be around.

I am headed out Thursday night into late Friday Morning. Hoping to change the reports. I am sure it will be tough going. Any pin fish or white bait around Johns pass these days. Last time out was Oct. 5th.

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,858 Moderator

Pinfish traps are producing just outside the marker, not sure on white or sabiki-ing.

• alaprovaalaprova Posts: 11 Greenhorn

Very nice report I too think I'm gonna try to get out in the next few days, weather man says it's gonna be beautiful but y'all know how that can be

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file