Clearwater/Dunedin

I am heading to Dunedin the weekend of Feb 9th. Where do I go to fish from shore for reds, trout, etc...?

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 6,720 Admiral

Ft Desoto park i imagine.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Elk ChaserElk Chaser Posts: 172 Deckhand

Pretty long haul to Desoto. You can fish from shore all over the causeway, might even rent a kayak there and try that. Honeymoon island opens up more opportunities.

I haul from Groveland to Maximo when I want to fish. That's a haul.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,653 Captain

OMG! I need to build you a fort in my backyard!...
    That's a long haul back at the end of a day of fishing....

God, save the South!
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 472 Deckhand

@Gettnreddy said:
    I am heading to Dunedin the weekend of Feb 9th. Where do I go to fish from shore for reds, trout, etc...?

Where to start.. Ok.. Trout.. North side of Dunedin Causeway. There are grass flats you can try. I like the flats on the north side about even with the bar and grill where they rent the boats.. Just work that whole side ..Topwater are getting it done for me this time of year..Nothing big though and few fish scattered....
    Reds... A little further south on Alt 19 ... Broadway.. After you make the turn from the downtown area on Edgewater...and pass the marina...there are some old concrete slabs sticking out of a broke down dock. Have caught reds there and that flat sometimes gives up a trout or 2..
    Bout 3/4 mile down is a small bridge over Stevenson Creek.. Sometimes get lucky in that area...but mainly from a boat.. Snook go up there this time of year to the poop plant.... Just look at a Google map for the area.. If it looks fishy...have at it..

• GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 22 Greenhorn

Awesome, thank you for the Intel.
    I have fished the mouth of Stevenson 1 time before only on seawall, Definately believe there are fish in the area. Found out the last time I tried it, you Have to get there early or some others already there. We need to pull the boat over sometime but usually are only there for a day. Behind the bar and grill you are talking about Frenchies? Looks good there. The concrete you are talking about would be a little south of the old bay at the marina?

Yeah..just past the marina and the new condo there about couple hundred feet.. Mid incoming is not to bad but moon has to be right..and water is cold so.. action might be a tad slow .. Tell ya what..Back before Dunedin Pass closed up...fishing around Stevensons Creek was some of the best in North Pinellas. Fishing between Malone, Moonshine and Core Islands for Tarpon, Reds, Trout and Black Tips was fantastic. Now the water flow is so choked..All the grass flats are about gone..Nothing but mud..

@Gettnreddy said:
    Behind the bar and grill you are talking about Frenchies?

No..Further down on the causeway ...where they rent sailboats and have a bar and grille on the beach now..Not bad food...Beer is cold.. But on the north side across from that...some small grass flats.. I go down there at night during the week and toss a 4" Sebile Holo greenie.. Ladyfish sure love it...

• GettnreddyGettnreddy Posts: 22 Greenhorn

Out on the causeway, the place about half way across the causeway on the south side of the causeway.

Yup..

@skyway ande said:
    OMG! I need to build you a fort in my backyard!...
    That's a long haul back at the end of a day of fishing....

Ande our butts are up at 3am. At the ramp at 6. Usually out of steam by noon, back on the trailer by 2 and at the house by 4. Usually have the boat washed, fueled, and parked back at the storage unit by 530 and drinking libations poolside by 6 during the summer. It's exhausting.

We started trying to go out of Bayport, but TBH, the fishing isn't half as good. No spanish Macks. No sheepies. We caught seabass, and sharks. Ehh

• DigitalchaosDigitalchaos Posts: 20 Greenhorn

Im right there with ya leave in the dark get home in the dark

@Digitalchaos said:
    Im right there with ya leave in the dark get home in the dark

It's not bad in the summer, when it's still light at 6pm and i'm usually having drinks while the charcoal gets ready for cooking. Not as easy in the winter. Usually we're cutting out by 11-12 so we can be back by 2-3 and get everything put up with some light left.

But it's the cost of getting to go saltwater fishing if I want to go. It's 92 miles to the ramp on the west coast and 89 miles to the east coast if i want to go to the mosquito lagoon.

• Mako224Mako224 Posts: 414 Deckhand

Oh I feel your pain- Clermont to Johns Pass. For example I am leaving 645 PM Thursday- 1.45 to ramp- 1 hr to catch live bait, 1.5 hrs run out. Fish till 10 am. Run in ramp at noon- home at 2:30. Stop halfway for break (wawa exit 19) wash boat gear and clean fish. Drinking at pm with Snapper Sushi and blackened sandwiches.

@Mako224 said:
    Oh I feel your pain- Clermont to Johns Pass. For example I am leaving 645 PM Thursday- 1.45 to ramp- 1 hr to catch live bait, 1.5 hrs run out. Fish till 10 am. Run in ramp at noon- home at 2:30. Stop halfway for break (wawa exit 19) wash boat gear and clean fish. Drinking at pm with Snapper Sushi and blackened sandwiches.

So you're going to night fish? I've never fished the gulf at night.

• Mako224Mako224 Posts: 414 Deckhand

I normally fish around the fullmoons as the snapper feed better. Next best is new moon phase. I have done 100 times better at night fishing. Big mangos and yt snapper. Not as many reds either. No boat traffic and come summer no heat. It takes some planning and Getting used to it. The fog this time of year is the only issue

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file