want to buy rs permit

bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 737 Officer

does anyone want to sell there rs license or know of someone selling one?
please let me know if possible?

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,794 Captain

Look up publications meant for commercial fishermen... I see permits being offered (both buying and selling) there regularly.... the National Fisherman, and Boats & Harbors are the ones I've seen...

Good luck, those permits can be tough to find at a reasonable price...

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 737 Officer

bob thank you sir and always enjoy your reports

• Angler719Angler719 CrawfordvillePosts: 512 Officer
    edited February 12 #4
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,372 Captain

There are ways around it, for instance purchasing the vessel and license from a previous holder. That is good for a year and then you have to show your trip tickets as valid proof of the sales requirements. Starting out you ought to plan on losing some money. The folks grandfathered in that lease out their ARS catch shares get rich without fishing.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 61 Greenhorn

What are you trying to do with an RS?

Everybody gets one

pompano, sheepshead,lobster,snapper,grouper

• xeniaxenia Posts: 148 Deckhand

For snapper/grouper you will need a Federal Snapper-Grouper permit which will allow yo to catch the many species in this complex beyond the recreational catch limits. These can be expensive since you need to purchase 2 and discard one. Without the federal permit the RS will not be of much use. Consider the initial investment wisely and try and calculate just how much to intend to catch to see if it will make the investment worthwhile. Commercial fishing is not what it used to be, and even back then the most you could hope for was a decent living, but you never got rich out of it. Today you have operating costs that are much, much higher than ever before, the population of commercially valuable species had not increased, and in the case of most species is much decreased, and the massive amount of imports keeps the wholesale price of fish lower than what it should be. So, ask yourself: do you want to pay more to go fishing and catch the same or less than we did 30 years ago, only to sell your catch at the same price we did back then? Just some advise from someone that started commercial fishing in 1975.

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 61 Greenhorn

Exactly what xenia said. Hard just to break even commercial fishing now a days. I run a kingfish boat part time and there's more days I should have just stayed in bed

Everybody gets one

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 509 Officer

Been there and done that. Commercial fishing is a great way to make a small fortune. Just start with a big one. Sport fishing is much more fun. If you catch your limits there's plenty to go around.

I don't have a dream of being rich guys I just don't want to be ticketed anymore for too many fish or stop fishing!
    I'm trying to be legal and now I'm starting to get the feeling all the people poaching are left with not many choices bc I can't get the license needed to fish legally!

• Rich MRich M Posts: 890 Officer

@bocapup1 said:
    I don't have a dream of being rich guys I just don't want to be ticketed anymore for too many fish or stop fishing!
    I'm trying to be legal and now I'm starting to get the feeling all the people poaching are left with not many choices bc I can't get the license needed to fish legally!

Wow - is it that hard to follow the laws, maybe toss a fish back in the water? This is a big issue in this state.

Hope you get it figured out.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,372 Captain

@bocapup1 said:

Why don't you target another species if you have limited out on a particular one? You can still get in a full days fishing.
    I really thought you wanted to commercial fish for a living, not just keep over the limits. Different ballgame and you lost me on that.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• SofthammerSofthammer Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    You want a commercial license simply so you can kill more fish?! That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file