When you bump a deer

spanglerspangler Posts: 351 Deckhand

What should you do when you bump a deer? I suppose the time of year might influence what action to take.

I usually just take a few notes (gps?bedding/eating?direction of travel? etc).

Should I be trying to track the deer (and find where it is escaping to)? Find trails where it/they came from? Or back out quietly and disturb the area as little as possible, and return at xx time of year. What else am I missing?

Also keep in mind, these are in places where I'm still learning the lay of the land.

Replies

• smellybucksmellybuck Posts: 21 Greenhorn

I always thought just keep walking like nothing happened and don't pay it any attention if its an area that you plan to keep hunting, show any type of predatory behavior and you'll never see that deer again.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,731 Admiral

I've waved to em as they trot away.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 754 Officer

@smellybuck said:
    I always thought just keep walking like nothing happened and don't pay it any attention if its an area that you plan to keep hunting, show any type of predatory behavior and you'll never see that deer again.

This, I don't know how many does we walk up on knowing we can't kill. They also seem to know as well. It also works to keep walking and then try and circle back they will still be looking at where you were and sometimes you get an opportunity.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,990 Captain

When I'm Scouting I'm usually with my Hunting Pard. We talk loud and yell back and forth.
    Machetes out whacking vines.
    Sometimes we make deer move that would just lay there and let you walk by.
    If we bust out deer we check everything , where was it laying , Escape route... Deer have Short Term Memory real bad. You think if a Deer sees a Predator it's not gonna use that Trail again ?
    Them Coyotes run the woods like Dogs. Every trail there. The deer would have to live in your backyard..
    If it's a heavy used bed we'll even put a small piece of flagging right on the tree base.up high.
    Comes in handy when we Slip hunt next season...He's layin Right over there.....

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 105 Deckhand

I try to shoot them if legal. I am getting better at making them stop and look back. Otherwise mark it and go get a stand it will probably be back. I have literally chased does off many times and then went back to get a stand and have the does come back within a few hours.

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,380 Admiral

i take pixie stix and sprinkle the sugar on the ground brings em back every time

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,406 Officer

Bumping them is just a part of hunting.

Where you would want to take notice is if you're bumping them going to your stands. If you're regularly bumping them on the way to the stand, you're probably spooking the same deer you're trying to hunt and you may need to either change the way you walk to your stand, come in at a different time, or move your stand to a place you can intercept the deer without bumping them on the way in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file