2/10/18 West Palm - Jupiter report

Went out of west palm yesterday, nobody had live bait (again) so since it was just me and my girlfriend who's only ever fished offshore once, I decided some easy trolling was the best option. With the good north current and ESE wind, we slowly powered out to 70 ft and I dropped 4 lines in, all homemade daisy chains. I knew what I was targeting and I found them. In 85-100ft we ended up catching 16 bonita between west palm and Jupiter. Perfect to show her the ropes and to have some action. We even successfully and without tangles caught a double. Twice I had a fish take the line out of my hand while trying to get the bait out. I did have a deep diving lure in the water and had, what I think, was a big king hit, but it broke off (my fault), so only bonita for us. Since it was a little sporty, we ran to Stuart and had lunch at Pirates Cove before taking the ICW back to West Palm. I have never done this and didn't know there was that much no wake. Oh well, great day spent on the water. No big meatfish, but I got what I was after so thats a win in my book.

Replies

• Serenity NowSerenity Now Posts: 429 Deckhand

Nice report and glad your plan worked out.

I’ve never done the run either because of the no wakes. How long did it take you?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Surreel Life"
    2014 Seahunt Gamefish 25
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 170 Deckhand

Inquiring fishermen want to know more about your "homemade daisy chains"...got pics?!

I can never catch too many bonito for my grateful friends....

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain

A girlfriend who likes to fish....
    now that's a catch.

• farside88farside88 Posts: 469 Deckhand

So here's my secret weapon. It has caught blackfin, kings, dolphin, and bonita so far. This particular one is black/red, but I also have pink, blue/white, and purple. Sometimes they are all the same color, sometimes I mix them up and have like blue/white lead baits with a pink trailer. Lead baits are 3" and the trailer is usually 5" or 6". I also place my trailer with slightly more space than between the teaser baits in front. Trolled in all positions, but seems to work best on flatline and shotgun. First pic is the trailer w/ wire leader. I use wire on some purple and all black/red. The second pic is the lead teasers, I like using 4. Last pic is the full rig. I use 60lb mono leader material from Bullbuster. 7/0 trolling hooks.

• farside88farside88 Posts: 469 Deckhand

@Serenity Now said:
    Nice report and glad your plan worked out.

I’ve never done the run either because of the no wakes. How long did it take you?

I left Stuart at 1:15 and hit Phil Foster at 4:15 so 3hrs. It'll drive you nuts and Jupiter was a mad house. I was slowed down by a heard of boats blocking part of the 25mph zone for no reason, and a couple times a sailboat was waiting for the bridge opening so that added maybe 5min.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file