32’ boat sunk by marlin off of Boynton

ginghyginghy Posts: 22 Greenhorn

Really sorry about your boat sinking and glad everyone is ok.

I’d like to hear more about the marlin though.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/transportation/fl-reg-palm-sinking-boat-rescue-20180203-story.html

Replies

• TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 107 Deckhand

My thought would be more of someone backing down on a sail in rough conditions, than a marlin pulling the boat as the article describes. But hey, you never know. . .

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    edited February 4 #3

I'm thankful that the boys are all safe due to Divine Providence “If we had not stayed that night we would have missed the rescue. Maybe it was meant to be.” ~ Elena Markel

Could it happen so fast that nobody had a chance to grab a knife and cut the monster free? Or were they gaffing it at the time and had the transom door open to pull it aboard? "A marlin, which yanked on a hook until the boat started taking on water, according to one of the rescued men." ~ Roustan (Sun Sentinel reporter who's description is obscure)

Why am I reminded of Quint in that 1975 classic?!

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 847 Officer

What reel makes enough drag that a 31' could be pulled backwards or down by it? Am I expected to believe these guys were fishing blueprinted 130's at max drag with unlimited rods and massively overtest line? If a fish were dragging my boat backwards, I'd slide that lever back a touch. The backing down theory is better, but that is about mechanical and/or operator error not the fish.

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 5,968 Admin

@bmoody said:
    What reel makes enough drag that a 31' could be pulled backwards or down by it? Am I expected to believe these guys were fishing blueprinted 130's at max drag with unlimited rods and massively overtest line? If a fish were dragging my boat backwards, I'd slide that lever back a touch. The backing down theory is better, but that is about mechanical and/or operator error not the fish.

And I'm guessing the angler wasn't strapped into a Murray Bros. chair, either. Even if the line didn't break, the angler would have been pulled overboard before the fish moved the boat.

Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 60 Greenhorn

That story is nonsense. There is no fish big enough nor tackle heavy enough that someone would use off our coast to pull a boat backwards. The line would break. I would fish 125# handlines for grouper on jojos, and before using it I would stretch it by making a loop and putting it over a lobster bloat. This would take some of the stretch out and help it to not tangle as much when you drop in on deck. We'd put the boat in gear and let out a couple hundred yards then make a couple turns around the waist and hang on. That line would break before the trap was even dragged, so no harm done. Point is, if 125# test isn't enough to drag a lobster trap, what tackle could these guys have been using to drag a 31'boat backwards! BS story. They made a mistake and now are covering it up.

• Gary MGary M Posts: 12,970 AG

If they had been in a Grady-White, they'd still have a boat.......

"Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 924 Officer

@Gary M said:

They were and they do... pics of it being towed in are on THT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Posts: 422 Deckhand

I was actually on duty on our LEO boat and began to respond. The GPS coordinate put it more around LW pier than Breakers. I turned around when the CG boat past us because it was futile for us to try to continue.

Solid 6-8 with about 3 second spacing. Trust me IT WAS NOT the fish. (Shortly after FWC had to go out for something and CG asked for a report and he gave 5-8.

BUT I just wanted to say the boat who rescued them and the CG dispatcher did AMAZING. Very flawless. My biggest **** is the Sport Fishers we passed in our 25 RIB in our attempt.

FWIW it was a busy day. PB had a landing and Sea Tow (imma Tow Boat guy tho) did great work saving a GW from going in the drink. They used a technique I’ve never seen before.

Maybe one day I can get out to fish again if not get a day for a run over.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Surreel Life"
    2014 Seahunt Gamefish 25
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 12,970 AG

@GRSC said:

@Gary M said:

They were and they do... pics of it being towed in are on THT

Thanks! I looked that up and read the thread.

Grady does not make a '32' or a '31' footer so I assumed it was not a Grady. Same with its reported 'sinking'. Grady's only have two things below the cockpit, foam and fuel tanks which would add some flotation. Small bilges too.

They can swamp to the gunnels perhaps, but won't go down. One of the main reasons we are on our third Grady in 21 years of boating down here. Good confidence for our 30+ trips to de islands Mon!

"Key Largo is too small to have a town drunk, so we all take turns."
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 110 Deckhand

Remember the classical line from Jaws....""I think we need a bigger boat". I'm with everyone else it wasn't a fish pulling a 31' down. There is more to the story than being told.

edited February 4 #12

@Garysmo said:
    Remember the classical line from Jaws....""I think we need a bigger boat". I'm with everyone else it wasn't a fish pulling a 31' down. There is more to the story than being told.

Can we rightly relegate The Sun Sentinel to the** Fake News Hall Of Shame?!**

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

@Garysmo said:

Can we relegate the Sun Sentinel to the Fake News Hall Of Shame?

• Tori'S ToyTori'S Toy Posts: 252 Deckhand

Grady getting towed in. Copied from THT

attachment.php?attachmentid=230307&d=1483582365
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Posts: 422 Deckhand

Confirmed it was same boat. Great work by Sea Tow. Because of my position I didn’t ask the reason before anyone asks.

Looks like a 28-30 model.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Surreel Life"
    2014 Seahunt Gamefish 25
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 6,742 Admiral

Glad no one was seriously hurt. I remember last year a 24'er went down and the people drowned.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • AnyhooAnyhoo Posts: 110 Deckhand

Good to hear no one was injured/hurt-However, they need to come up with a better story. No way it happened that way.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,227 Captain

Wouldn't be the first boating incident caused by a Marlin.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• hatcityhatcity Posts: 2,838 Captain

@conchydong said:

DOH!!!

I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • MGDMGD Posts: 912 Officer

From THT:
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia/907037-palm-beach-boat-sinking-3.html

He said that the "marlin-thing" was completely fabricated. When he arrived back to the dock, several news crews were waiting and the first question was "what caused you to sink?" He was feeling happy to be back at the dock and quickly said "a marlin pulled us down". He then quickly said ..... "no, I'm just messing with you. That's a joke" But the media ran the original tale.

He said that "there was no fish involved at all. Nobody was hooked-up. Nobody was "backing-down". The boat started feeling slugging and heavy and started going down. A thru-hull hose must have come loose and we were sinking before we knew it."

He said that the boat was recovered and being investigated by the USCG.

It was a charter boat. He lives out-of-state and has no family connection to FL.

@MGD said:
    From THT:
    https://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia/907037-palm-beach-boat-sinking-3.html

He said that the "marlin-thing" was completely fabricated. When he arrived back to the dock, several news crews were waiting and the first question was "what caused you to sink?" He was feeling happy to be back at the dock and quickly said "a marlin pulled us down". He then quickly said ..... "no, I'm just messing with you. That's a joke" But the media ran the original tale.

He said that "there was no fish involved at all. Nobody was hooked-up. Nobody was "backing-down". The boat started feeling slugging and heavy and started going down. A thru-hull hose must have come loose and we were sinking before we knew it."

He said that the boat was recovered and being investigated by the USCG.

It was a charter boat. He lives out-of-state and has no family connection to FL.

Yup if it's from The Sin Sentinel it always FAKE NEWS...now everyone knows about that port-a-potty-paper!

• GRSCGRSC Posts: 924 Officer

Except there's the cell phone video of them on the rescue boat (the cat) telling their fish tale... long before any news crews were around. Like other times, nobody anticipates a "story" going viral and its legitimacy questioned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ScottRScottR Posts: 976 Officer

So by 'Marlin' they meant 'bad captain.'.....

USCG Licensed Captain, 100T Masters, STCW/BST, PADI Rescue Diver
    Offshore Fishing/Diving & Charter Services, Bahamas/Caribbean Travel, Deliveries, Maintenance/Refits
    Scott@runyourboat.com
    www.runyourboat.com
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 230 Deckhand

• JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,827 Captain

When I first read the SS account of the incident, my take was this -

Bunch of yahoos out on a charter
    non-boater type guy is reeling in a fish
    The boat starts to go backwards, so he figures the fish must be pulling the boat.
    Captain backs down into a snotty chop & takes a big one over the stern, swamping the engines.
    Boat goes down
    non-boating type reporter gets story from non-boating type yahoo & runs with it.

Then again, this footage has been floating around for some years now -

Also, I used to try to green stick off of a boat that was really too small for that sort of thing. After a few close calls, I put that tactic on a back burner.

>

FWIW it was a busy day. PB had a landing and Sea Tow (imma Tow Boat guy tho) did great work saving a GW from going in the drink. They used a technique I’ve never seen before.

Parbuckle roll?

@conchydong said:

Where was that one?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file