Another "Which Reel To Get"

I live in southern florida & i only fish for large mouth bass in the canals. I'm looking for a new spinning reel that can be purchased at Walmart/****'s Sporting Goods. I only use #10 mono line. My budget allows me $50. Is one manufacturer preferable over the other?

Replies

• DES51DES51 Posts: 63 Greenhorn

You are pretty limited in that price range. Walmart sells Daiwa and Okuma. Both are good brands. Using 10 lb mono you will probably want a 2500 series reel. Are you near a Bass Pro? Sometimes you can get a higher end model on sale! Good luck!

• johnDjohnD Posts: 6,387 Admiral
    edited February 6 #3

I got a like new penn fierce 4000 i'll sell you for $50. it's already loaded with 15 lb invisibraid.
    i'll ship it usps priority and send you the tracking #.
    absolutely nothing wrong with it , I just don't use it.

• inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 535 Officer

Have you considered Kast King? Check them out.

2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • eggystareggystar Posts: 71 Greenhorn

walmart and **** sells the shimano sienna fe that is the one to get.

• DES51DES51 Posts: 63 Greenhorn

@eggystar said:
    walmart and **** sells the shimano sienna fe that is the one to get.

Yeah, the Sienna is a good reel for the price. I used them for ice fishing up north. Less than $50 too!

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,293 Moderator

pflueger president

"You'll get your weather"
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,148 Officer

2nd the Pflueger President. I bought one on sale last November and it's great.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,504 AG

@Alex from GA said:
    2nd the Pflueger President. I bought one on sale last November and it's great.

Yes,...they are a good reel....

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 920 Officer

Shimano Sienna is a decent reel. I have a couple that we use for trout & reds. I got them around 2009.

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,794 Captain
    edited February 12 #11

Check the Okuma Ceymar C-30

Holds plenty of 10 lb. test.

Smooth action & drag ... 7 ball-bearings.

Field & Stream named it the "best value" in 2016.

( and 4th overall )

"Far and away the biggest surprise, the Ceymar claimed the No. 4 spot with a double-take price of just $50. Throughout the test we kept saying, “There’s no way that price is right.” But it is. Out of the box, our test reel seemed well built and sturdy. With a thick bail wire, a drilled spool, and a sleek black design, nothing about it looked inexpensive. But would it hold up to our test? Yup, in spades. The Ceymar cast far and cranked well, and its 13-pound drag was buttery smooth. Our only concern was how much of a beating a $50 reel can take over time, but it’s worth finding out. "

"THE TEST
    We gave up to 20 points for each of the following test categories, for a maximum total score of 100: Casting We spooled the reels to capacity, the spinning models with 6-pound and the baitcasters with 14-pound Berkley Trilene XL. Then, using 1/4-ounce weights for the former and 1-ounce weights for the latter, Cermele and I both made and measured several casts, switching reels out so they were on identical rods. Power ­Using a heavy saltwater stick and 80-pound braid, we deadlifted a 5-pound weight to see how easily the reel pulled the weight off the ground (or failed to do so). Drag Taking max power into considera­tion, we tested smoothness and engagement by pulling the line as fast and hard as we could. ­Retrieve Making a series of casts and cranks, we assessed the retrieves for fluidity while observing how evenly each model stacked line onto the spool. Construction We evaluated build quality and fit and finish via a thorough inspection of each reel, and combined that with how it held up under the strain of the power test. "

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2016/04/9-best-new-spinning-and-casting-reels

• phinfanfrommdphinfanfrommd MarylandPosts: 18 Greenhorn

@capt louie said:
    pflueger president

I second this. Got a President for my ultralight set up and couldn't believe how smooth it was.

• maryclarkmaryclark USAPosts: 0 Greenhorn

Thanks for the shared link! I'm very excited to see this question! I find this thread useful and informative!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file