Sheds

I was looking at another forum and saw people posting pics of sheds already. Mostly up north. How many people go out specifically looking for sheds in FL? I have managed to find 3 and 3 deadheads in all my travels.Seems like we just don't find them so easily down here. I was walking last week looking for turkey sign and spotted two bucks still holding headgear. Also saw two more on the highway between Titusville and Daytona on Fri night with headgear.

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 6,784 Admiral

We keep a eye out while working, especially when surveying a burn as it makes finding things lots easier. Still.......we find few. And more often than not what we find is a year or two old with rodent gnawings on it.

Seems to me that with the grass, palmettos, gallberries, WATER!, and other constant ground covering items we have that seeing them is just so much harder.

• joekat46joekat46 Posts: 1,736 Captain

Never found a Florida shed. Will be checking our cameras Friday or Saturday but last check showed nothing with horns a week ago.

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,271 Officer

@bswiv said:
    We keep a eye out while working, especially when surveying a burn as it makes finding things lots easier. Still.......we find few. And more often than not what we find is a year or two old with rodent gnawings on it.

Seems to me that with the grass, palmettos, gallberries, WATER!, and other constant ground covering items we have that seeing them is just so much harder.

That has been my experience as well. I’ve only ever found small ones, and those have been heavily gnawed on. I haven’t found one in several years.

• Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,471 Admiral

They are still horned up in my hood.

But as it stands I've only found 1

As mentioned, palmettos, water, thick stuff everywhere...its tough

I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,683 Captain

I have found 1 shed in FL in 44 years. THey are dropping in No Fla now. Last day of season I had 5 bucks come by..4 spikes and another buck that had already dropped. I had some on camera this last week that had shed and some one sided ones hanging on still

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,450 Admiral

I've only found one small one, but I knew someone who had a collection of sheds from property around lake X that would make a Midwesterner blush.

DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 332 Deckhand

I was fortunate enough to find both sides of an 8 point last year that were a mere foot apart. Seems he played down and both came off at the same time. I hunted him this year but no luck. Central FL, found in April

• mangum7mangum7 FloridaPosts: 1 Greenhorn

I have only found one but that was about 5 years ago. I haven't had a chance to get out this year.

Scott M.
    " In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks" John Muir
    BestSurvival

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,661 Captain

BSWIV told ya'll the way to find sheds.
    Call your local Park / NPS or State forestry office and ask where their burning now.
    They only burn in Winter..get the location and wait a couple days. Bring walking boots and a Wal Mart bag.
    Need some..I've got a pile

Killin and Grillin :grin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file