kayaks and sidearms

pond725pond725 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
if there kayakers that fish fresh water in south florida freshwater, just wondering if you carry sidearms with you out on the water. there's so many places now days with people friendly alligators, in a boat really no worries not so much in a kayak. just wondering!

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,273 Admiral
    I put my carry pistol in a dry box in my front hatch with my wallet and keys just because it's safer then leaving it in the truck. As far as gators go. I've paddled by hundreds. some don't move and other scram. Maybe I'm stupid but I never worry about gators. One smack with a paddle would be enough to send it on it's way.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • yakhunteryakhunter Posts: 129 Deckhand
    I fish next to gators all the time. I've never had an issue, other than being surprised when I don't see them and they make a big splash to get away from me.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,148 Officer
    Last week I got splashed by a gator that didn't hear me; scared the crap out of me. Glad I wasn't in my kayak.
  • krashkrash Posts: 558 Officer
    I worry more about the unseen spooked Manatee...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,148 Officer
    A manatee won't eat you just put you in the water.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 803 Officer
    Don't worry about the gators, it's other predators that may be a concern.
    The hardest is being comfortable, I suggest OWB holster at 3 O' clock.
    Note: It's legal to carry in Fla while engaged in Hunting and fishing, just don't carry into a store unless you have a CCW.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Old SkoolOld Skool Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Has stand your ground been used on the water yet? I've had a couple of close calls with yahoos not looking where they're motoring. Fortunately, I've been able to move out of the way. But there may come a time.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 524 Officer
    Old Skool wrote: »
    Has stand your ground been used on the water yet? I've had a couple of close calls with yahoos not looking where they're motoring. Fortunately, I've been able to move out of the way. But there may come a time.
    come a time to do what???
    we need more internet money
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 357 Deckhand
    Lol...good question
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 357 Deckhand
    krash wrote: »
    I worry more about the unseen spooked Manatee...
    I have been thrown overboard from one in the dark...scary ****tte, especially when you saw a big gator in area a few days before.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 1,969 Captain
    In south Florida I'd be more worried about people than gators. That said mine goes in a pelican case in a hatch if I feel the need to carry while fishing.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    A few years ago, I saw what I swear was a salt water croc in an are where I was paddling. Those things have a reputation for being a lot more cantankerous than the gators. After that I carried for a few months, but I didn't see him again, so I don't bother anymore. I don't like to risk salt water damage to a sidearm unless I have a good reason.
  • krashkrash Posts: 558 Officer
    We see salt water croc's all the time in the Bay... some big ones too, they actually keep more distance from you than the gators but I would not want to corner either one.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • pond725pond725 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    seen to many "people friendly" gators at ramps. at the big rest area on the alley there's a gator that followed me around the bank. then I saw a couple walk up to the tower and start throwing dry dog food they had in a bag. holy lands the gators out there are used to the hunters throwing scraps into the water. have been on the indian river system near mosquito lagoon where I got to close to a gator, he started moving closer, so I started moving away.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,019 Captain

“Kit Guns” have been a central feature for outdoors people for generations.
    A Kit Gun is a compact handgun ideal for tackle box, packs etc. A common occurance with boaters.
    I recall a Kayak camping trip at Big Shoals on the Suwannee. Six or eight of us, a diverse group,guys and gals.
    Around the campfire the subject of guns came up- one by one most revealed the gun that was on board for the trip.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file