First Trip of 2018

Over the weekend I had a friend visiting from Maryland who wanted to fish. We left pineland yesterday morning (1/28) and headed out to a nearshore reef. We started trolling deep plugs and on the 4th pass we had a rod bouncing and drag screaming. I slowed the boat a little and the drag was too loose and we got rocked up. After that we set anchor and started dropping shrimp and squid. Shrimp was the hot bait and we started slamming grunts, mangrove snapper and sheepshead. A lot of shorts but a good deal of keepers came up. The odd catch of the day was a monster toadfish. Despite the forecast it barely rained until we were approaching the marina around 2pm.

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,477 Moderator

Great to hear you made it out. Your friend should have been happy. I pulled my boat out of the water a week before Irma and it is still on dry land every time i think about a launch a cold front comes down. Thanks for your report

• SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 115 Deckhand

It was great to get out. It had been over a month since my last fishing trip.

I wanted to get something big for my friend but the quantity and comradery made the trip great

• SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 115 Deckhand

Hopefully this weather changes and you can get back out soon

• NailerNailer Posts: 296 Deckhand

Sounds like a freat trip.

• ScottaenglundScottaenglund Posts: 77 Greenhorn

Good deal. Now that this cold front has lifted, and the winds have died down, and here should be some good days ahead

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file