Inshore fishing when the wind is strong?

ArsinekArsinek Posts: 36 Greenhorn

So I went fishing today and got skunked. I did not fish for long because the conditions were not what I consider good. It was high tide, cold and the wind was blowing like crazy.

At first I went to a trusted spot and got no bites. So figured I would go search for a spot out of the wind. I looked up something near by on my GPS that seemed like the wind might be blocked which it kind of was but not well. The wind was still strong, still high tide and still cold.

I ended up calling it right there. I had someone with me who does not fish and was underdressed so I figured leaving with the best thing to do.

What would be the best thing to do fishing in those conditions?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,091 Moderator

What time of day, and where were you fishing. I'd wait till the sun came up, probably around 10:00, and fish shallow, 1'-2'. Find a lee behind an island. Give your buddy your rain jacket to keep warm

• Rich MRich M Posts: 890 Officer

We used to catch a lot of jumbo trout on cold windy days - getting live bait was always key, then tuck up behind an island and put out 4 baits, enjoy the sun, good company and be ready when something eats your bait.

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 256 Deckhand

When it is like that I go into the mangroves shallows and hide from the wind. If possible I try to find a quiet spot where the sun is hitting the shallows by the mangroves, snook and red fish like to go into the shallows with the sun to get warm.

• ArsinekArsinek Posts: 36 Greenhorn

We did get in the water probably around 10am. First I tried fishing in a creek I always have good luck in, tide was high so water was maybe 3-8ft. Not so much as a bite. If the tide was low the creek probably would have blocked the wind.

I moved to the east side of the intercoastal and tried to get as close to some trees as possible to block the wind but was still getting hit. I'll have to do some research and see if I can find a good wind spot for next time its windy. I have one idea already.

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,597 Admiral

What area are you fishing. I had several things that were against me yesterday, but still managed to catch a few fish. It was cold, windy, extremely low tide, and overcast. It was tough sledding as they say, but I stuck it out and struck gold. I will also say that the fish are in insanely shallow water when the sun warms it up a bit. But that did not happen yesterday.

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,210 Officer

This time of year I am focusing on up-river areas, creeks and shallow water bays with mud bottoms that have dirty/stained water and get good sun exposure. Clear and cold water is no bueno. Use your water temp gauge to find the warmest water you can. The wind can be your friend this time of year when it is out of the W or the S. A cold N or NE winds tends to shut down the bite in my experience. Get shallow and get bit.

Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • VikingViking Posts: 97 Greenhorn

What city or what general area are you fishing. Based on where you are will help fine tune the best spots to fish on windy days.

• lpowerslpowers Posts: 124 Deckhand

Possibly a loaded question, but if there is a small cove on say an island and wind blowing into it.. would it be better to fish in the cove thinking that bait will be pushed into it, or fish the back side of that island where the wind is calmer?

• fordmag84fordmag84 Bradenton, Fl Posts: 89 Greenhorn

@lpowers said:
    Possibly a loaded question, but if there is a small cove on say an island and wind blowing into it.. would it be better to fish in the cove thinking that bait will be pushed into it, or fish the back side of that island where the wind is calmer?

It depends on the time of year, winter they want to get out of the cold, and dissolved oxygen is high. I'm summer the wind blown shore is gonna be cooler, and the wind should add more dissolved oxygen to the water.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file