Boots for South Florida? Rubber or Lace Up?

2»

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,989 Captain

Bullfrog..A snake will get out of your way if he's moving along , otherwise he'll just try and lay low and hope you pass.
    Your 6 ft. and 220M pounds , He's 6 Inches max and 5 pounds. He knows it's a Death Match and he'll most likely lose , he just wants a Mouse and a sunny spot for the day.
    Snakes strike out of fear or for food..you know this
    My Lease has a couple hundred big honkin Cows running the trails and they don't ever look for snakes..but you can sure hear them coming. ..Bet my snakes are trained by now..The Cow Trail is Deaths Highway.... :o ![ My Snakeboots are low cut rubber with drain holes drilled in the sides and a pair of leggings. No water too deep.
    Been walking the Big Swamps for 50 years now and never even been struck at...
    (https://us.v-cdn.net/6030354/uploads/editor/cp/osqh4zij5o2e.jpg "")

My Snake boots are low cut

Killin and Grillin :grin

picture #2!

ok...1 more time

• alansb1982alansb1982 Posts: 75 Greenhorn

Well thanks y'all for the input. Ended up going with a pair of mucks. Did 10 miles in them today and, while I'm sore as hell, it's not because of the boots and my feet are fine. Good things.

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,406 Officer
    edited February 5 #36

@Turner River Terror said:
    Bullfrog..A snake will get out of your way if he's moving along , otherwise he'll just try and lay low and hope you pass.
    Your 6 ft. and 220M pounds , He's 6 Inches max and 5 pounds. He knows it's a Death Match and he'll most likely lose , he just wants a Mouse and a sunny spot for the day.
    Snakes strike out of fear or for food..you know this

I don't disagree that more often then not, they won't strike you even when they can.

I disagree though that one should presume a snake will avoid you if it knows your there.

I've had a rattler and a moccasin come to me that I know of from several yards away. They seemed to find me fascinating. The rattler wasn't aggressive. The moccasin was standoffish although he didn't strike. I was wading shallow water at night and he slowly came out of some weeds about 20 yards away, slowly swam up to me across open water and studied me for about 5 minutes, then without provocation he charged at me when he was a few feet away, I jumped out of his way and he shot on past me. That's the sort of behavior I think moccasin chasing stories come from. They're 100 times more standoffish in water. I think its because they know they're in their element and can strike fast and then get out of the way. In that case I also never decided whether he had a good look at me until he was that close (couldn't see past my light) or whether his charge was actually just him shooting on out of fear once he figured out what I was. If I would have had snake boots on it would have been fascinating for me to have stood my ground to see if he would have bit or not had I not moved out of his way.

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,739 Captain

I have been wearing pain old rubber boots for decades, snakes don't scare me.

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,406 Officer

@surfman said:
    I have been wearing pain old rubber boots for decades, snakes don't scare me.

I don’t think its a matter of being afraid of snakes. Its more a matter of making a cold, calculated decision that the danger potential they pose shouldn’t be ignored. Guns don’t scare me either, but I’d never recommend minimizing their danger.

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,739 Captain

To me there is no danger in snakes, that is how I see it, if I though there was then I would have snake boots too.

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file