Marathon Pilchards in June??

Are the pilchards still around the Marathon area in June? I can't seem to find a whole lot of info....aside from reading they seem to be plentiful in winter. Thanks..

Replies

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 2,726 Captain

3" ones vaca bridge @ nite

28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • msk99msk99 Posts: 205 Deckhand

Thanks Piner!

• sk018sk018 Posts: 2,670 Captain

Big ones on reef in 20 foot. tough to find and not very thick, need to sabiki not cast net

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 6,786 Admiral

we've night fished the reef, just like everyone said, hang a chum bag and wait. About 30 minutes in you can sabiki em up. Caught a goggle eye as well.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Problem with the reef at night for me is that I can't take the rental out after dark... :( :(

• sk018sk018 Posts: 2,670 Captain

You can find them in the morning

@msk99 not an issue they are there during the morning/afternoon as well. Some of the best fishing in the keys is from 4pm-sunset. Most of the drunks are off the water, and the seas die down a bit (at times).

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Thanks folks! Appreciate the info on this...

I guess the other option is seeing if I could buy some from Life on the Line if they are back up and running by then.....

Check with Captain Hooks maybe they sell them live? IDK. I buy gas from them when i'm down there but never actually set foot in the place.

I've checked when I'm there buying my daily batch of shrimp and I've never seen them...

edited February 1 #13

@msk99 sorry i'd never been in there. There is a stickied thread in the keys section of old posts and where to buy live bait in the keys. It's old but it had a bunch of numbers of guys who catch and sell live bait for a living. Might check there.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/32657/keys-faq-v-4-0-new-for-2012#latest

Sweet, I'll check it out, thanks..

• LBAyersLBAyers Posts: 21 Greenhorn

Almost every link i clicked on in that Sticky was "page not found".

Looks like with the move to a new format the links are all broken now.

• Captain Hooks sells live shrimp, blue crabs and pinfish only. I have been their live bait supplier of finned fish since Irma. If I have extra blue runners, grunts, mullet or sometimes live ballyhoo left over from a morning trip I put in the live bait tank. It all sells, but is mostly pinfish most off the time. They never sell pilchards. Catching pilchards is tricky when it is hot. I would agree at night on the reef is best bet. I hope this helps

Sure does, thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file