Fishing trip offer questions

I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this question.
I have a 21' CC in perfect condition. And a new silverado to pull it.
I am planning on retiring soon, at 62.5. I do not have my captains license. I do have lots of time on the water.
Here is my proposal. I would like to offer friendly fishing trips out of Port Canaveral. I can take up to 3 people. I would expect fuel and bait to be paid by my passengers. I rarely burn more than 30 gallons in a day.
I will go wherever they want within my range and as long as it is safe. No guarantees of catching anything.
Basically I just want to go fishing and offer others to go with me. And maybe we can all learn to be better fisherman in the process.
First, is this legal?
Second do you think anyone would be willing to do this?
I am just fishing for information at this point.

Replies

• bigunbigun Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Inshore,offshore and other side trips we have always equally shared the expenses on all trips, if fishing tournaments the boat always got an equal share too. Anytime I've been nvited to fish with others I've always agreed to split the expenses, help clean boat, clean the fish, rig the bait furnish equipment. Find yourself a couple of DEPENDABLE people and that makes everything much more enjoyable.
  • Hardcore LuresHardcore Lures Posts: 95 Greenhorn

Like bigun said find a few guys to fish with you regularly and it will be easier. Everyone should expect to share expenses. As far as charging anything more, then you start down the path of being a charter. I think the law says you can share reasonable expenses associates directly with that trip (ex: fuel, bait, ice, etc) and not be considered a charter.

• IS IT SLOTIS IT SLOT Posts: 191 Deckhand

go social media (gas and bait) come on join me mate!! sounds bit corny and Australian but i am sure the point will get across
    tight lines i might even take up the offer
    IM me with details

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,203 Captain

If you expect (charge) $ for anything unless they have changed the wording of the regulations, you have to have a Capt's. License. What you are wanting to do is done daily. Handle the details in private an not on an open forum.If the wrong charter/fishing guide were to see it, they could cause problems for you. Just my 2 cents.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file