Costa Rica trip report

pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 470 Deckhand
I was invited to go down to Quepos and fish the FAD's on a private boat last week , here's my attempt at a report .

Saturday we headed out about 30 with the intention to troll the rest of the way out to the FAD's , went 2/0 on blues before the starboard dredge snagged a long line , bending one of the outrigger support poles . Headed back in , and by noon we were at Maverick in Herradura , having another one fabbed up . Big thanks to those guys , I can't thank them enough . Got back to Quepos and started to head out , when the autopilot/GPS kept shutting down and tripping the breaker , so back in we went . ( It ended up being a loose plug swinging and grounding out ) At this point we decided to do day trips .

Sunday we headed out and went 3/4 on marlin , including a double of Stripey's . I was on the first and while clearing lines another Stripey followed the lure to the boat , and took it with the swivel in the rod tip , nothing like feeding them up close to the boat .

Monday we headed out and got a blue first thing , then started having fuel issues . Headed back in , turns out it was fuel filters . Caught mahi each day as well .

Had a great time , thinking about going back next week . Also found out it was slow at the FAD's , so we didn't miss out on much . Heard the water temps were cold out there .

I didn't really get many good pictures , here are a few

Replies

• pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 470 Deckhand
    MpTwFUT.jpg
    T343DVn.jpg
    mkY7cIf.jpg
    LnVzeLR.jpg
    RllmHU0.jpg
    NC6JMC9.jpg
    AJRcwW4.jpg
    CZfWlW6.jpg
    WBVYph2.jpg
    bi234gY.jpg
    3WBjxds.jpg
    l3G9liZ.jpg
    znqei0L.jpg
    tHD00yh.jpg
    cdbdJ3U.jpg
    DcOUHA7.jpg
    ubMzh7w.jpg
    4RKOHPN.jpg
    2Q0z3HS.jpg
    iO6ZC5w.jpg
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,293 Moderator
    Awesome !! Love the pics and LOVE Costa Rica..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,322 Officer
    Great report,nice pics.
  • KortsmanKortsman Posts: 261 Deckhand
    The colors on those fish are awesome!!
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 858 Officer
    Sounded like an awesome trip and well written. Funny how the pics always catch billfish looking directly at the hook in their mouth. Seems like one of the crew members should have been able to diagnosis and fix those simple boat problems.
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • yachteryachter Posts: 182 Officer
    Great pix.......looks like it was a great trip
  • WayfarerWayfarer Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Great report and great pictures. That's a trip that I dream about taking. Good job!
    It was a great trip , I just got back again from there last night . Will post report once I get all the pictures and video sorted out .
  • ScottC543ScottC543 Posts: 1,297 Officer
    Sweet! Thanks for the report.

We're going. Not sure where exactly yet, or when. But somewhere, and soon.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,681 Admin
    Great report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark Wilson
    AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 464 Deckhand
    It really is not that expensive if you book air tickets well in advance- last time I chartered there I was getting a boat 25' or so for about $600 a day.
    So GO............

Here is an inexpensive option , I have fished with them a few times , inshore and offshore . They will put you on fish

http://www.queposfishadventure.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file